Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone who knows what it takes to install a lift kit. More specifically an Icon stage 5 kit(UCA, shocks front and back, Rear leaf spring expansion pack), 1" block and a cst spindle. My automotive experience goes as far as being able to do my own oil changes and brakes. I've also watched quite a bit of you tube on similar installs. I have all the tools to do the job. So is this something you recommend I should take to a shop or is it quite possible that this can be done on my own. And please send any recommended links if you know of any. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
You can handle it all, I had never done more than mostly oil changes as well and I have done everything with regard to my lift and also did my buddies, it's all pretty straight forward and only basic tools are needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
its pretty surprising just how simple it can be, plus you always have countless internet resources for when ever you might be unsure. Id say go for it.

Reactions: hfcs85

·
Registered
249 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm basically in the same place right now.

The Devil is in the details... What is most confusing is that different installation instructions suggest different methods and don't really get specific to every bolt and torque spec. So, we're left to piece it together on our own.

One of the "gotchas" to look out for seems to be the LCA and the alignment bolts. You should loosen but NOT fully tighten them until you put weight on the truck. You'll twist up the bushing. Lots of people seem to skip this step...

I read the install instructions from Superlift (attached). It seems to be thorough. They suggest loosening the UCA. I could be misunderstanding the instructions (step 4), but that's the first I've read about loosing the UCA. I read another thread (another forum) where a poster here seemed to confirm that step.

Other things to remember and note are the application of threadlock and to which parts.

I'm no expert. Just trying to wrap my brain around what needs to be done before I go ahead with it :). Perhaps, we can put it all together on this thread, clean it up, and repost as a sticky?

good luck!

Toyota Tundra ReadyLift Kit Installation Video - YouTube

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I went through the same thing when I went to install my OME coils, there are about 10 different ways to do it. I have now removed my coils twice and my buddies once and the process is quite simple.

In a nutshell, without going into torque requirements and what not:

- Remove the two outer bolts from lower control arm where it attaches to hub
- Remove lower shock bolt
- Remove four bolts from upper strut assembly
- Mark, then loosen eccentrics
- Pry lower control arm down until you can get the strut out (put a floor jack under the lower control arm so you don't push it down too far)

First time I did the intall, just the front end probably took 6 hours b/c I had no clue. Last time I did it probably took less than two hours.

The Devil is in the details... What is most confusing is that different installation instructions suggest different methods and don't really get specific to every bolt and torque spec. So, we're left to piece it together on our own.

One of the "gotchas" to look out for seems to be the LCA and the alignment bolts. You should loosen but NOT fully tighten them until you put weight on the truck. You'll twist up the bushing. Lots of people seem to skip this step...

I read the install instructions from Superlift (attached). It seems to be thorough. They suggest loosening the UCA. I could be misunderstanding the instructions (step 4), but that's the first I've read about loosing the UCA. I read another thread (another forum) where a poster here seemed to confirm that step.

Other things to remember and note are the application of threadlock and to which parts.

I'm no expert. Just trying to wrap my brain around what needs to be done before I go ahead with it :). Perhaps, we can put it all together on this thread, clean it up, and repost as a sticky?

good luck!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

good luck!

I'm pretty green to all the forum jargon ...but yea lets do the sticky thing! The parts come in sometime in the middle of next week so I'll probably start my lift next weekend. Another concern if mine is if my jack stands are tall enough bc I'll be lifting it 4.5"? Thanks for all the info. I actaually saw another ready lift video and they both seem pretty informational and realistic enough to do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you'll be fine installing it. Just make sure you've got a breaker bar for the big bolts/nuts. I've installed the coilovers and spindles at two separate times and never had to remove the lower control arm. I did need a second set of hands to set the coilovers in place. He pushed the lower control arm down while I lined up the lower coilover bolts. Could've done it alone but save about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Perhaps, you should put the list of steps you have planned on this thread. Let other posters critique or add some steps. The end result will hopefully be ready by next weekend.

I'm pretty green to all the forum jargon ...but yea lets do the sticky thing! The parts come in sometime in the middle of next week so I'll probably start my lift next weekend. Another concern if mine is if my jack stands are tall enough bc I'll be lifting it 4.5"? Thanks for all the info. I actaually saw another ready lift video and they both seem pretty informational and realistic enough to do.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
If you have standard Jack stands then you will likely need to put some solid wood under them for extra height, I throw 4 inch blocks under mine. For a breaker bar just use the handle from your floor Jack.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have an update. It looks like I'll have a couple more weeks of planning since I just found out it will take that long for my cst spindles to be finished :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts