Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...corny title but what the hey?

I have pretty much decided that I am ready to make the switch from Ford to Toyota. 2001 4x4 supercrew 125 miles, very few problems but I really like the new Toyotas, back seats are way more comfortable and I have come to believe that it is hard to beat Toyota quality.

Anyhow...I will be getting a double cab 4x4...pretty much decided on the 5.7l...I have a 19 ft fishing boat, with 125 hp so a good haul and I understand mileage ain't much different than the 4.7l anyhow, and would be a lot better when hauling.

However, I'm not sure on the TRD package...I like the idea of the skid plates...I drive on forestry roads a lot for work...sometimes pretty unimproved roads to say the least but I don't know if I need all the bilstein shocks...etc that come with the TRD package. Its quite a few more $$ and although I do use the truck for work in forestry, most of the miles are on ashpalt and I don't want a rough handling truck (a car magazine, I forget which, critized the 07 Tundras for a rough ride).

Any advice on this?

Also, I have my eye on a Limited edition with very low miles and it has the red rock or red river or some such leather seating...looks really sharp. Anybody have this seating and any comments on it...keeping it clean, tendency for scuffs/scratches, ..etc?

Thanks from a Tundra wannabe...and hopefully Tundra soontobe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sell Toyota Tundras and the ride is anything but rough.... you do not feel the shifting of gears and the acceleration is responsive. I have driven all of the models and I will tell you that the tires on the TRD and the suspension causes some more feel of the road than a limited but there is not significant difference that you will notice on asphalt.

The limited with a few miles on it sounds like a great truck... I have seen one and they look nice. They are also VERY hard to get around here so you may want to pick it up because it will be one that will hold a better value.

To keep it in the best shape you want to use a leather conditioner... you can buy them at local car shops or dealers.

As far as the skid plates you can always order them and have them installed.

I would definately go for the 5.7 based your comments and the fact that you are losing no mileage and the value of what you gain is much better for what you do

Good luck and hope you join the Tundra Family

·
Registered
75 Posts
Trd, trd trd

:p Yes that's the way I went better tires and cool wheels:p
Suspension package, comfy seats; it's a no brainer:p

Not sure about the 5.7l, most people pushing it. I played it safe and went with 4.7l, heah good luck whichever way you go:p

·
Registered
189 Posts
Go with the TRD. You will happy with it. 5.7 is the way to go, no doubt about it. Red Rock is nice, but it depends on the color of the truck you get that matters. Some do not look good with it. The forest looks good with it and since your in the forest industry, no brainer there. I just wish the TRD package came with the front skid plate too.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Keep in mind if you plan on changing the wheels, tires, and or suspension your paying for stuff twice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

I appreciate the comments. The Limited model I was looking at has the TRDoffroad package as well. I wouldn't be changing anything...not sure why I would...so not sure what you meant jpnca.

The color of unit is the Slate Blue, although I don't see it listed as such on the toyota website, that is what is on the dealer's records...basically a grey blue. In terms of price, basically translates into $31,000US. 10,000 miles.

When unloaded, the ride is harsh but road and bump impact noise are well muted. CanadianDriver magazine...the only negative comment in the article.

·
Registered
341 Posts
you will be very happy with the TRD. I have it and I also added a toytec 3" lift up front with a 1.5" add a leaf. this setup makes the truck even a little more stiffer but it's still a decent ride. it can be extremly rough in certain situation but for the most part really like it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are considering a Limited the TRD package is only $70. The shocks, fog lights, skid plates, sliding rear window and tow hooks are worth well over $70.

·
Registered
802 Posts
own a TRD and love it have drove both trd mite be a tad stiffer but not much at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts