Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I also am thinking about it. I have 70K miles and run pretty hard with my set up. E85 tune with over 500hp. Is it possible to get it to 700, and still keep the engine alive?
From what I've read and believe.....the factory 5.7 internals can't handle over $550 HP for an extended amount of time.

I will add that HP and longevity of engines is more related to drag racing than to actually driving fast "at speed". Meaning, going from 0-100 as fast you can get there causes more issues than just "kicking it" to go 60-100.

To me, it just depends.

Also, you definitely are adding to the issue if you start really running high boast #s in anything.

I'm seriously interested in the new Whipple SC.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I sort of answered your question in your introduction post. It really depends what you want to do with the truck and how it gets used. If this is your daily and just a driver, occasional hauler...Long tubes and a good tune will make good power. If you tow and haul regularly and want more low end and mid range power the SC is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

The Magnuson and a good tune is plenty for this truck and probably the best balance between making power and longevity until you start chasing HP and upping boost with smaller pulley, etc... The Harrop and Whipple kits may be good kits running low to moderate boost pressure once released. Keep in mind the general opinion is that without building up the bottom end of this engine >550/600 crank HP is pushing your luck .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks everyone! I have my subscription setting at instant notice but I haven’t received any notices. I logged in today to read up on some other ideas and see all the responses to my thread. Thanks again everyone! SC is on hold for the time being, I just had to replace my home HVAC system. There went all my play money funds. However, I will gladly take A/C in my house as summers here in South Carolina tend to be on the warm side over a SC in my truck. Ha ha! So I will need a few months to recover financially, which will give me more time to research.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I'm too spoiled now with mine. I wouldn't do it simply because you would never be able to drive a regular one again, and you don't want that, do you?

It's like giving your tundra steroids. Yeah its probably not the best for it, and it will probably have a heart attack in it's 50's, but lets face it. All trucks die. The question is: how did it LIVE? Whoa, did you feel yourself get slammed back in the seat just then? And did you see how fast you passed that car? Your passenger just got a little whiplash, and you're turning 35 MT's. Holy crap. Did I just giggle? It sounds like my engine is singing to me now, and it's beautiful. I should give her a name. That V6 camaro next to you thinks its getting in front of you when the light turns green, but you know better. He'll have no idea.

That's what it's like.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm too spoiled now with mine. I wouldn't do it simply because you would never be able to drive a regular one again, and you don't want that, do you?

That's what it's like.
Liking your Avatar pic I had to share the other eye candy pictures of our treats under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discount code (I thnk 10%) for SparksParts.com - Tundradude34

Discount for shipping 25% off for SparksParts.com - SHIP25

The first discount got the Magnuson Supercharger to $6909.27

I've not yet ordered so I'm not sure what the total shipping cost will be, but a discount is a discount.

EDIT: References - Tundradude34 code - https://www.tundras.com/threads/sparks-coupon-code.20677/

- 25% discount for shipping code - emailed to me from Sparksparts.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all...considering SC for 2012 FF with 65k on it. Whipple is now offering an option. Anyone here actually try the whipple option yet? Looking for more towing torque/power pulling 9k travel trailer...and need realiability on the road away from home traveling. Any updated thoughts appreciated...thx

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Hi all...considering SC for 2012 FF with 65k on it. Whipple is now offering an option. Anyone here actually try the whipple option yet? Looking for more towing torque/power pulling 9k travel trailer...and need realiability on the road away from home traveling. Any updated thoughts appreciated...thx
Whipple was just released a month or two ago, it will take a while until we have long term reliability data. Any blower (Maggi, Harrop or Whipple) will do the job of pulling a trailer. Reliability is mostly in the tune and how hard you drive it anyways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've an early 2001 (built in Sept 2000) Tundra with 370K+ miles on it. The supercharger was installed, by me, with about 30K miles the truck (about 20 years ago). It has worked perfectly! I've changed the oil twice and I've the "rebuild kit" to replace the bearings and such this spring. Engine and tranny have never been cracked! Great truck!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts