Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018, 5.7 crew cab, 4x4 with engine 3UR-FBE
I’ve heard adding a supercharger not only gives you extra power but some have seen increases in mpg, once you get past the awesomeness of extra power when you step on it.
Magnuson has just come out with their 2018 kit. Which I would have the dealer put on so I can keep my warranty.
Questions I have will it help with towing mpg any? I get around 7 mpg when I tow my 7,000 lb travel trailer grant it thats doing 80 mph on flat land here along the S.Carolina coast.
I’m trying to decide to pull the trigger on it or.... wait and see if Toyota comes out with the diesel truck like they’re supposed to. I would love the dually. They need to get on the ball with that.

Any thoughts/advice/opinions are welcome and appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Even if the dealer does agree to install the aftermarket Magnuson blower, your factory power train warranty will be immediately voided. Magnuson does provide a warranty of their own, not sure how easy it would be to claim it if things blew up.
I’ve had the blower on both of my Tundras and you are unlikely to see an improvement in fuel consumption.
Toyota will not be making a diesel Tundra or a dually for North America anytime soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You’re probably right Viktor, at this point with all the electrical technology coming out, it’s probably more realistic to expect an electric Tundra. I think Rivian is gearing up to blow everyone out of the water with their electric truck. An insane amount of money has been dumped into that company while Tesla is turning into a flop.
I was told by my dealer that the Magnuson supercharger is the ONLY one they will install and still honor the warranty. I will be double checking and get them to put it in writing on my invoice.
2underpar, I know its wishful thinking that I might gain a little fuel economy with the extra horsepower but, I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would like to add one, but I am not sure how my engine would deal with it having traveled 285,000 miles already.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Since you are fairly close, I highly recommend Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach for the SC install. They have a lot of experience with SC installs, probably more than any dealer in the south east.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Definitely add one. It was hands down the best mod I did to my 2013 Tundra. I just bought a 2019 Tundra today and stopped by the Magnuson office in Ventura, CA right after I left the dealership. Being in CA I'll have to wait b/c they're in the process of making the 2019 models CARB certified (smog crap). My 2013 is running a mid travel setup with 35's and I noticed my fuel economy improving with the s/c. It also helped quite a bit towing a 7,000 lb boat. The increase in power is very noticeable and so FUN!

Yes it's worth voiding the warranty. I went 100k trouble free miles on my 2013 s/c Tundra with zero issues...it's a Toyota.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want 300,000 miles out of your truck, forget the SC. If you expect 100,000 miles out of her, you might get lucky with the SC. The added stress and heat from that much more horsepower take their toll on longevity, especially in the drivetrain. Toyota has bigger engineering margins that most manufacturers. SO it is really a durability vs fun decision.

A lot of people don't keep their rigs as long as 300,000 miles...but some of us do. Just don't do the SC for investment or fuel economy. It won't meet your expectations.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
life is too short to not own at least one supercharged Tundra, if you can afford it.
If I had an extra $7k laying around that I didn't need for anything else, I'd turn it into a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
If you have the $$, do it.
I have it on my TRD Pro for almost 2 years.
To me was worth it.
I wouldn't bank too much on the mpg. After installation it did go up, on the display. Not sure how accurate it was.
With 33" tires was pretty awesome.
With 35" tires was not bad.
Now with 37", I am slightly above stock (w/o re-gearing)
Stopping on stock brakes were inadequate at times.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Why not :drive:

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
You may not be in increasing heat, but you are increasing stress to every single moving part in the engine and drivetrain. So, the concern is warranted for a higher mileage engine.
Although, everything is designed to handle the extra stress and then some.
So, bottom line, it's not a concern for new or lower mileage vehicles.
Do it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
:drive:

·
Registered
712 Posts
You may not be in increasing heat, but you are increasing stress to every single moving part in the engine and drivetrain. So, the concern is warranted for a higher mileage engine.
Although, everything is designed to handle the extra stress and then some.
So, bottom line, it's not a concern for new or lower mileage vehicles.
Do it.
I agree with you, and it looks like the best option for high mileage engines is long tube headers and a tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just sold my 2008 Tundra which had the Toyota supercharger since almost new. I had 130k miles and never had one issue from it. The difference for towing and just fun was worth every penny. I never saw any improvement in fuel economy but I would do it again in a heartbeat. For now the new Trackhawk has filled the supercharger void.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also am thinking about it. I have 70K miles and run pretty hard with my set up. E85 tune with over 500hp. Is it possible to get it to 700, and still keep the engine alive?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts