Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you have 18" wheels, I may have some slightly used Ridge Grapplers I am trying to get rid of.

I just bought the truck and they are too loud for me at 35-40mph...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wheels are 20”. Sorry what’s OD stand for? I am also considering getting new wheels and going down to 18” to get more “tire” but not sure what that’d do for performance or cost for the new tires. Also can’t add more than a few more inches of height or I can’t get into the parking garage at work or home.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Wheels are 20”. Sorry what’s OD stand for? I am also considering getting new wheels and going down to 18” to get more “tire” but not sure what that’d do for performance or cost for the new tires. Also can’t add more than a few more inches of height or I can’t get into the parking garage at work or home.
OD is outside diameter.
If you get a tire that is an inch taller than your existing tire, it will make your truck 1/2 inch taller.
So divide whatever number by 2.

You can use this to see what size tire measures out to.
Also to compare one size to another.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

My stock tires of the TSS package where 285/55/20 KOs.
This week I bought 275/60/20 KO2s and they fit fine.

You can do a forum search of any tire size and see experiences regarding that size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so after all the discussions I’ve read, I think I want to put 285/60R20 BFG KO2 on my 2016 Tundra 4x4. It’s all stock and I’m trying to avoid modifications but can handle something small. This puts the OD at 33.5” and I’m hearing keeping it under 34” works well without mods. Also like that it’s a bit wider tire than the 275/55R20 tires that are on it now. It’ll only see mud a couple times a year and don’t want to increase the road noise much. What do you think??

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ok so after all the discussions I’ve read, I think I want to put 285/60R20 BFG KO2 on my 2016 Tundra 4x4.
That's a fair choice. But I warn you... the Tundra looks way better with big tires. I wish I'd gotten 37s for that reason and better ground clearance and roll offroad.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My KO2s are noticeably louder than stock tires. It does not bother me but it is there, it sounds like the tires are sticky and you can hear the lugs slap a little bit. It's worth it to look cooler than the truck next to you though. ;)

The price difference between 275/60 and 285/60 might have you going for the smaller of the two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am installing another new set new set of 285/65/18 BFG KO2 on my 2016 crew. Max SR5 OFF ROAD 4X4.
They are the first tires I've never had a puncture or flat on.
I just swung by 70,000 on the truck this week.
I do allot of desert and mountain driving in the Mojave desert.
These are excellent in snow and desert terrain.
And just back into a tree last week so I order the FAB 4 PREMIUM BUMPER, for the rear, rather then replace stock bumper.
Matching front bumper will come in February, after my ARE OVERLAND SHELL comes in.
( Awaiting factory delivery)
I found the KO2 quiet on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Ok so after all the discussions I’ve read, I think I want to put 285/60R20 BFG KO2 on my 2016 Tundra 4x4. It’s all stock and I’m trying to avoid modifications but can handle something small. This puts the OD at 33.5” and I’m hearing keeping it under 34” works well without mods. Also like that it’s a bit wider tire than the 275/55R20 tires that are on it now. It’ll only see mud a couple times a year and don’t want to increase the road noise much. What do you think??
What stock tires do you have?
Keep in mind the KO2s might decrease your MPG a little being a larger and heavier tire.

Very happy with mine.

Have your shop install the front tires first and then check clearances if you want.
Discount Tire was going to do that when I thought I wanted 285/60/20s.
But for the price and size, the 275/60/20 worked for me.
Most common rubbing is going in reverse with the steering wheel at full lock unless you really go big.
Bigger tires can hit the skid plate and frame body mounts.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I have not modified my truck, I run the 285-65/r18 and love them. No running, no kids needed.
1/2" taller and 1/2" wider than his stock 275/55/20s.
I'm sure they fit just fine..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.