Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,443 Posts
I usually do for the extra stability, max (44 psi) on the rear and usually 38 on the front. I used to run max on the front as well, but I have scaled my rig a few times and found I don't need max psi on the front now that my hitch is properly set up.

If you have the Bridgestones, I found them to be really squishy even at max psi on all 4 when towing. was really glad to be rid of them.

Reactions: brockeverly

· Registered
755 Posts
Just looked up the inflation tables for that tire and at 44psi they can handle 2365#. Given that info and the fact that you are likely over payload (1645# payload, 10/15% of your trailer weight alone makes up 900-1500# of that), I would have new E rated tires somewhere rather high on my list. They will make a world of difference with the load behind you.

· Registered
264 Posts
When I had the stock BFG tires, I did like Ditch said, I aired them up to max 44psi at the rear and 38psi up front. I replaced the tires this past week with the Michelin LTX M/S2 LT275/65/18 tires, they are load range E, I'll be airing them at 50psi rear and 40psi front when towing, we'll see how that goes. So far these Michelin's are a night and day difference from the stock BFG's. The Michelin's ride so much nicer unloaded and not stiff at all. I'm running them at 39psi rear and 36psi front unloaded. Like mentioned above, you may want to replace them stock tires for some D or E rated tires if you're going to tow that heavy.

· Registered
926 Posts
My tundra came with the BFG rugged terrains and I am hauling two dirt bikes and a generator in my bed and towing a 5600 camper this weekend. From reading these post I should air my tires to max psi correct? If I remember correctly they are 44 psi as well.

Thanks guys

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
The proper way to air up your tires when towing is to put the truck under the load and then inflate the tires until the sidewall is the same height that it was unloaded, not to exceed the max psi rating of the tire, anything other than that is just guess work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.