Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FYI mods this is also posted over on the discount tire forum but I thought I would try here as well....

My mom has a 2012 Ford F-150 and the other day she stopped by my house and I noticed her tire had what looked almost like a cut all the way around the tire. Its equal distance from the edge ALL the way around.

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive tire Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Tread

She took it to two tire shops in the small town where she lives and they both said she probably hit something when she was spinning her tires or in mud. She assured me she hadn't done anything like that and she isn't the type to lie about something like this so.... Not really sure what's going on. It almost looks to me like the tread is separating from the tire. Its not real deep but enough that I'm concerned.

Ideas? Truck has 14,000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I've never seen that before. It looks like it rolled over something like a ramp guard at an oil change shop, or a car wash drive track. Are you sure you haven't been practicing your siping technique on moms ride?

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
FYI mods this is also posted over on the discount tire forum but I thought I would try here as well....

My mom has a 2012 Ford F-150 and the other day she stopped by my house and I noticed her tire had what looked almost like a cut all the way around the tire. Its equal distance from the edge ALL the way around.

View attachment 100937

View attachment 100945

View attachment 100953

View attachment 100961

She took it to two tire shops in the small town where she lives and they both said she probably hit something when she was spinning her tires or in mud. She assured me she hadn't done anything like that and she isn't the type to lie about something like this so.... Not really sure what's going on. It almost looks to me like the tread is separating from the tire. Its not real deep but enough that I'm concerned.

Ideas? Truck has 14,000 miles.

I agree tire separating. Almost like a retread.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Pretty nasty looking; I wouldn't drive with it for very long. Do any of the other tires look like this?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like defect to me. Looks too perfect not to be. Keeps us posted. Won't want my mom to drive on that fo sure

I took it off and put the spare on for her right then and there.... Ford told her it was fine and safe to drive on so I told her to get that in writing and let them put that wheel back on. If it blows (she won't drive it on the highway with it so I'm not worried about a high speed blowout) then she can go make ford figure out Wtf happened. I'm trying to see what discount tire thinks and we are also going to go to a Pirelli shop here in KC Saturday to see if they will do anything.

Ford says since it's out of the 12,000 mile tire warranty they can't do anything.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I took it off and put the spare on for her right then and there.... Ford told her it was fine and safe to drive on so I told her to get that in writing and let them put that wheel back on. If it blows (she won't drive it on the highway with it so I'm not worried about a high speed blowout) then she can go make ford figure out Wtf happened. I'm trying to see what discount tire thinks and we are also going to go to a Pirelli shop here in KC Saturday to see if they will do anything.

Ford says since it's out of the 12,000 mile tire warranty they can't do anything.

Probably a good idea to talk to the Pirelli shop or better yet Pirelli USA directly. If this is a defect issue, chances are Pirelli USA may have other reports of this issue and be more willing/able to deal with the situation. One would think that Pirelli is ultimately responsible in the case of a defect/failure or recall since they made the tire.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
did she have them balanced somewhere recently? Wondering if someone closed the cover on a balancer and it cut a groove into her tire. It def looks like a cut, but its so concentric, I'd have a hard time believing it happened with the truck on the ground. Either, way, those tires are know to dry rot on the tread and on the sidewall, so inspect all four. Also, this seems to be only one tire, is it happening on both sides of this tire?

·
Registered
701 Posts
According to the tirerack page for the Pirelli it has an unlimited warranty against defects. I can't imagine any situation where you would get a cut that uniform in the shoulder area.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about warranty, I would just get it replaced. That is the cost of vehicle ownership.
I dunno man.... Big difference between "I fukced up" and "they fukced up".

If it's defective then Pirelli should make it right. IMO Ford should have pro rated and replaced. They lost a longtime ford owner in my dad.

87 F-150
99 F-150
05 F-150
12 F-150

Thats a lot of cash. He told me this was his last ford... He was tired of their BS. He has had some issues with warranty work on his 05 not being done correctly and causing more harm than good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts