Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have nitto terra grapplers (305/55/20) on a (obviously) 20 inch wheel that has enough offset to make the wheel/tire pacakge stick out about 1.5-2 inches from the fender. I have a Pro comp level kit that I ran on the stock wheels and tires for 3K miles before I added the new wheels and tires.

So now to the problem: I have a nasty steering wobble right around 50-55 mph but the weird thing about it is, it comes and goes. Last night I drive home (on the same stretch of road) and it is shaking pretty bad, both at steady speed and during accelaration. This morning I go the same route, nothing, perfectly stable. Now temperature changes here in AZ are about 89F during monring drive, 109F in the evening drive (in case that matters).

I had my 10K service, (eventhough i only have 9K miles on it now) and everything was fine for them. I know there is a thread with steering wobble but that went the route of rotors and I had that checked, no issue, plus I dont have any issue under braking. I had the tires bablanced and they said it was fine but still this wobble shows up from time to time at 50-55 mph and I cant seem to find a pattern or common denominator. I also dont know if its the lug nuts or anything like that that would throw the balance if they are loose.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Thanks in advance)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I am in the same boat. My wheels / tires look great but the steering wheel shake is almost unbearable.. Thinking about trading someone on CL for some stock 20s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Count me in. I just had moved up to 37x14's on 18" wheels last week. Everything was fine with my old tires. I first had beads put in these tires and they had the intermittent wobble. I took them back and had them spun balanced. Didn't quit until they got 0.00 (I was watching). I then thought it was alignment or rotors. Got it aligned and new front rotors. Still the same. Wobbles 65% of the time and smooth the other 35%. Being intermittent makes me think it couldn't be a tire out of round but that's all I can think of now.





Sent from AutoGuide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
I'm wondering about my carrier bearing. I'd imagine it could wear prematurely from being at a steep angle. Possibly a wheel bearing could be failing. Possibly a problem from a wheel that is narrower than the tire calls for.

I'm just throwing ideas around. I need to look into it more. It's driving me crazy though.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I doubt the tire is out of round.. that was my thought too, but I managed to find a shop that will still shave tires. He put it on the machine and told me the tires were good.. shaving wouldn't have changed anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Make sure you both are using ET lug nuts, I had some shaking with my aftermarket wheels until I swapped out to ET lugs.
ET lugs.. ill have to look into that
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,869 Posts
Sorry, ET just means extended thread...evidently the Tundra has some pretty short lugs and standard lug nuts don't get enough thread on them so they come loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the lug nuts, what would explain that it does it sometimes and then not others? It's very frustrating because I want to fix it as to not cause other damage but then it also doesn't happen all the time so what is there to fix. This is so frustrating but maybe any ideas may spark a thought...please keep them coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Count me in. I just had moved up to 37x14's on 18" wheels last week. Everything was fine with my old tires. I first had beads put in these tires and they had the intermittent wobble. I took them back and had them spun balanced. Didn't quit until they got 0.00 (I was watching). I then thought it was alignment or rotors. Got it aligned and new front rotors. Still the same. Wobbles 65% of the time and smooth the other 35%. Being intermittent makes me think it couldn't be a tire out of round but that's all I can think of now.





Sent from AutoGuide.com App

When you say 65-35%, do u mean that it also happens frequently but not regularly? If so, what speed do u experience it at? Always around those speeds?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
You'll want 14mm x 1.5 ET lug nuts. Discount Tire can get them for you but not in black.
My wheels where hub centric but I got the ET style anyways.
They allow for more thread engagement but are also supposed to center your wheels properly depending on your setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
When you say 65-35%, do u mean that it also happens frequently but not regularly? If so, what speed do u experience it at? Always around those speeds?
Probably more like 90%-10%. It is very frequently but fades away almost completely sometimes. I'm going to say its worst from 50-60 mph. Sometimes at 70 mph it will almost chatter my teeth and other times its so smooth I think about how nice it is running an A/T tire rather than a mud tire.

I can usually figure out what's wrong with my vehicles but this has got me baffled- mostly because its not entirely consistent.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I bought new rims. Ended up putting the rims on the balancer without tires. 2 rims were out of round and I could watch it on the machine. Discount took care of me and sent me 2 new rims. Installed the tires back on and have been fine ever since. Have the tire shop rotate your tire 1/4 turn on the rims and seen if that helps too. Rims and tires both have high points and low points. Need to move them on the rim sometimes to get them lined up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,893 Posts
Those are not ET lugs, ET lugs are NECESSARY on ANY AFTERMARKET WHEEL...

Or at least that was the determination a few years ago, even DT direct knows this. DT local stores even carry them in tundra size and say they are necessary...



When I got my wheel/tire set-up DTD had sent the regular lugs, when I called they said that if I could find the ET's locally they would credit me for them as I shouldn't use the standard lugs they had sent...
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
I got mine from Discount Tire... I need to pull on off and check it to make sure they gave me the right ones. I know mine are Gorilla brand with the keyed adapter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
Those are not ET lugs, ET lugs are NECESSARY on ANY AFTERMARKET WHEEL...

Or at least that was the determination a few years ago, even DT direct knows this. DT local stores even carry them in tundra size and say they are necessary...



When I got my wheel/tire set-up DTD had sent the regular lugs, when I called they said that if I could find the ET's locally they would credit me for them as I shouldn't use the standard lugs they had sent...
When I ordered my Jesters they said the manufacturer only spec'd the 60 deg conical, but I just asked for the ET. My wheels are 110mm bore (hubcentric) so I shouldn't have any issues anyways, but wanted to play it safe.

Bigblairs look like a tuner style 60 deg conical but I could be wrong.
 
1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Top