Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to do a 3/1 kit this next week and need to decide on a couple things. I tend to over analyze so I wanted some 3rd party input. I am for sure doing the Nitto G2 but debating on 2 sizes:

295/70/18 or the 305/65/18?

Also, debating on the Fuel Ripper or the Maverick. The Maverick is quite a bit lighter in weight, does this even matter at all?

Thanks for any input, even the sarcasm I'm sure I'll get!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A few things:

a) Spacer lifts suck. Much better to use lift-struts. Bilstein 5100s are cheap and ubiquitous.
b) The lift won't buy you any clearance when you hit a bump. The rub points are the lower front and rear of the wheelwell.
c) If you want to level the truck set the front to ~+2" and leave the rear alone.
d) To minimize clearance issues with big tires choose a wheel offset of at least +25mm. +35 is better.
e) If you *really* want more lift for some reason, budget for UCAs and rear shackles. For 2" you won't need them.

Either of those tire sizes will work, but you can also go bigger if you wish.

If you are wanting ~35" tires for your Tundra on 18" wheels, these are your options. All have been normalized to 9" width wheels using the 40% rule (1 inch of wheel width changes the tire width ~0.4"), and are "averages" based on actual specs. The 305/70s tend to be the largest diameter and are also quite wide, so hardest to fit. 325/65s are the same dia as 35x12.5s typically but are wider.

295/70r18 (~34.3x12.0)
285/75r18 (~34.8x11.7)
305/70r18 (~35.1x12.6)
35x12.5r18(~34.6x12.1)
325/65r18 (~34.6x12.8)

Reactions: 1lowlife

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the detailed response!

A few things to add:

I don't off road at all. I tow a 4k lb travel trailer 3-5 times per year. I had a 3" spacer lift on my 2015 Tacoma which I didn't mind at all, is it worse on the Tundra?

Does wheel weight make a huge difference? The Ripper is 10lbs heavier per wheel.

I have a 2017 Platinum and want to create a look similar to this guy:
https://www.tundras.com/threads/bluebottles-16-plat-cm-build.7379/

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't know anything about the Tacoma, but suspect the lift would have the same effect. On road only you are less likely to collapse a strut or have issues with excessive droop, but 5100s are still a superior way to go, even on road.

If you do 3" on stock UCAs the problem is that you will have little caster (self centering). Many just live with it, or don't even notice.

Sure, weight matters. You probably wouldn't notice 10lb but I wouldn't put 40lb wheels on my truck when there are so many ~30lb.

BTW, there is a Discount Tire Direct sale going on now. Link is on this site somewhere. Good prices plus rebates, free mount and balance, free shipping, no tax. Just bolt them on. I bought from them over Labor Day.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/thanksgiving-deals

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's actually where I'm getting them from. My local Discount here. $2050 total for the Ripper and the Nitto in the 305/65/18. I just need to solidify my choice lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I second the notion of the 5100s. I just put these on my truck and the ride is noticeably better, no more land yacht feel. I went with 295/70 18 Nitto G2s and love the look and feel. +25 wheels and no fit issues, just had to remove the little mud flaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks like it. Would be $350 shipped for the full set with the $50 off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love my 5100s. I stupidly tried spacers first and wasted time and money. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered the wheels and tires. I got the Nitto G2 in 305/65/18. I plan to do the bilstein lift (thanks for the advice). Do I need to do front and rear? Will the fronts be in the tallest setting in order to fit? Do I need UCA’s as well?

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Don’t piss around

Go 44” super swampers>:D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I ordered the wheels and tires. I got the Nitto G2 in 305/65/18. I plan to do the bilstein lift (thanks for the advice). Do I need to do front and rear? Will the fronts be in the tallest setting in order to fit? Do I need UCA’s as well?
In order to fit what? You don't need lift to fit the tires, you need to trim (if necessary). If you have +25 or more offset you'll be fine. Middle setting, leave the rear alone. You won't need UCAs for that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the ripper in the +20 offset. The truck I linked earlier "BlueBottle" on Tundras.com is where I got the inspiration for the tire size. He has them with the LRO 3/1 kit. Will mine look similar with the 5100's?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.