Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have a set of these on my '08 DC and have had them on since the beginning.

Tundra Crew Max Door Sill Protectors 00012-T0796-03

They are nice but I am getting away from the chrome/silver look so I'm thinking about removing these. Has anyone ever done so and if so any tips/tricks? Also, what would you recommend as a replacement? My DC is Radiant Red and I've got a red/black theme going on. I've seen the OEM ones on Ebay with the "TUNDRA" logo on that look good, what do you think?

Thanks!

Chad

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I would treat it like the badges and pull them off. The adhesive will stay more then likely. So the easiest way would be go buy the 3M adhesive removal wheel, slap it on a drill and go at it. The wheel would hurt the paint( unless you just keep it in the same spot for a while ) and you fingers will thank you. Then just wipe it with some sort of cleaner.

As for the replacements, I've seen people get the ones from Home Depot and since the are generic, just cut them down to the size you want and use double-sided tape to install. There are some people making custom diamond plate door sills on this forum or TS.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I removed the original protectors like the badges, with hair dryer and plastic putty knife. Came off with a little effort and cleaned off the residue with the eraser wheel.

I bought the black OEM ones and they went on fairly easily, fronts were a little tricky to get the air bubbles out but looks good!

·
Registered
180 Posts
get a good braided fishing line and use it like you would use a wire saw on a small tree behind the sill protector, works like a charm! then get the rest off with wd 40 you will be amazed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts