Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I polished the truck last weekend and got lazy. I didn't use any painters tape between the bed and the trim and I was trying out a different polish (I normally use Optima). While the Optima doesn't leave a film on trim this other product sure did. Bad part is didn't realize it until last Thurs. (I drive a work truck so the Tundra sits in the driveway most of the time). So I did some research and found some solutions I thought I would share. I tried each one and they all worked but some were better than others.

- 50/50 mix IPA/ Water - used 2 rags, rubbed on wiped off, worked well

- Zippo Lighter Fluid - again 2 rags, nervous the whole time, don't think I'll use it again

- All Purpose Cleaner - 1 rag, rubbed on and allowed to dry, very slow

- Large Pink Eraser - I tried this last b/c I thought there was no way it would work, but I'll be damned it does, used it on all of the stubborn spots and it worked like a charm

I also tried Min Spirits and Acetone for the heck of it and neither really worked.

Moral of the story is don't be lazy and tape your truck when using unknown products, spent 90 minutes just cleaning the driver side trim today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you said that, my wife and I have an inside joke b/c she uses that all of the time. She has cleaned surfaces that you would never believe and it has worked. So because of that I have always said there is something in it that causes cancer, because nothing good for you works that well and I won't touch it... Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

G

·
Yeah, I either end up taping things off, or am just really careful. If I am going the really careful route usually that is hand waxing and hand removal. And even then I armor all the trim pieces.

As for the cancer comment... give it a few years before the warning comes out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree with the peanut butter, something to do with the oils. But I have found that it wears off, I have tried this Mothers (I believe it is) Back to Black that is amazing. I have washed several times since applying and it still shines like new. A few extra dollars but give it a try.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oils (back to black, pb, etc.) will just hide/cover it up by making it "wet".

Magic Eraser is the only thing I've found that actually removes it. There is an "automotive" version but I don't know what the difference is (other than the label).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've used 50% distilled water and 50% white viniger to remove it.

That eraser trick sounds cool. Think I will try that the next time it happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2nd on the wax/grease remover. I have a dispenser that looks like a shoe polish applicator and it works like a charm. Before I had that I would dab some on the spot with a cotton ball and work it in with a tooth brush. After I was done I would wipe it off with a micro fiber towel.

Reactions: Wacked
1 - 10 of 10 Posts