Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wet sanded it with 2000 grit wet/dry and applied 3 coats of VHT nightshades, then 3 coats of clearcoat. After that, I polished it to a nice shine.

[/QUOTE]

Started working on my tail lights this morning. I haven't polished them yet. Waiting for them to dry.

I wet sanded them and taped off the center sections.

Then I sprayed a single coat of VHT Nightshades.

Peeling off the tape reveals the lighter center section.

I then applied a 2nd coat of VHT to the entire lens. I darkened the sides of the lens a little more by spraying a heavier coat as I went around the side of the lens.

I then applied 5 coats of VHT Clear Enamel so I could sand it to a smooth finish without fear of getting into the smoke color.

Sanded. Polished. Installed.

This is with the lights off.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wet sanded the clearcoat thoroughly, but very lightly with 2000 grit wet/dry to get rid of specs and slight fogging from overspray.

I used a clay rubbing compound first, then polished further with Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover. Always use a microfiber cloth for polishing and not just a soft rag. Learned that by having to redo stuff in the past.

I did this a while back and they have lightened up a bit over time. I'm considering pulling them back off and applying another coat of tint. I live in socal and I get a LOT of sunshine.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
Good work.

I would have replaced the scratch and swirl remover with an actual polish but that's just the insecure,anal person that I am.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Tinted tail tickets are not uncommon around here. I was really nervous about doing it. I have been pulled over twice and not a word was said about the tinted lenses. Yay!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's slick! I'ma add it to the DIY list..
...and I need to get around to doing my BHLM. My gas oven scares me to death. I don't even cook in it. There's no way I'm putting my headlights in there. Maybe I can use my mom's oven when we go back to Mo for Christmas. I can already see the look on her face. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats the best ive seen the vht turn out yet... I hated mine but I didnt polish it either. GREAT JOB!!
Thanks. The clear coat and polishing made a huge difference. All the unclearcoated ones I saw had a matte finish from the VHT...even the ones that had been rubbed/polished. They just never really seemed to shine like they should. I watched lots of youtube videos before tackling mine.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good as always Socal.

Hey do you mind poking your head on FB and taking a look at my alignment question? I'm so perplexed man!

-rockstate
No problem. I've been neglecting fb lately. :eek:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Haha no worries! You're just leaving in suspense for the next appearance!

I really have no idea about these tires wearing funky. Even straight on you can tell they sit a bit heavy on the outside. I don't know if 112 lb brush guard would do that or not? There was probably less than 2/32nd disparity between the inside of hte tire and the outside. Now there's probably a little bit more, as well as a 2/32nd disparity from the front of the outside lug tot eh back of the outside lug.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No joke. Between this and text messages, i'm not getting any studying done tonight!
I forgot the texts. I sent a message to a guy trailering his '57 chevy ebay purchase from North Carolina to Indiana.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts