Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tinted taillights fail

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  EUPHOR1C 
#1 ·
So I tried to tint the taillights on my 2013 tundra and i followed the advice on the site to a T, but now they are turning a chalk white. I have resanded the clear coat and polish it a few times with no change in apperance. I was VHT nightshades and VHT clearcoat. Any advice on how to fix this would be great. Thank you.

#6 ·
what I did when I had problems with my old truck, I wet sanded them, then used that head light restorer stuff, then wet sanded again, etc. I just kept after them until I cleaned them up. I nevr used clear on mine at all. Just the Night Shades, and then polished the crap out of them. They looked great.

I wouldnt go buy new ones just yet, I would just keep working on them. Try mineral spirits as well. That might get off that residue w/o messing up the actual light. Then start over.

#7 · (Edited)
That's what happened to me... Wetsand and polish like Paz said. If you want the best look here's the steps to take once you get all the VHT off:

Step 1: clean them and sand em up
Step 2: take an air gun and blow all of the crap off
Step 3: mix you paint and your clearcoat together in a paint gun
Step 4: lightly apply each coat of paint but before doing another coat over another give it a little time to dry
Step 5: Once you've got them as dark as you like let em sit in a area with no bugs or anything and let them dry.

Doing this you can go as dark as you want and no light output will be effected. I did my headlight corners like this with 5 shades and at night they're colormatched to the truck but my light output is the same as it was before I painted them. And once they dry a few days later you will notice that they get darker. In this pic it was right after they dried but now in the day time they're much darker, you have to get really close to my headlights to actually see the orange marker and the chrome housing.

Attachments

Reactions: pazorell69
#9 ·
Ding ding ding! Glad someone mentioned that. Either it was really humid, or you put the clear on too thickly at once.

#11 ·
Be lazy and have a pro do it.... Thats what I did... :)

#12 ·
I would sand down then start over just as some other have suggested. As was mentioned make sure it is a warm day and the humidity is low. Make sure you follow dry times per manufacture instructions. I let my vht flash dry for about 15-20 min and same as clear between coats
I didnt use vht clear though. Then color sand and buff/polish till your arm falls off.

Good luck

#15 ·
Just don't light a cig after you're done without washing your hands. Yes, that's from experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Jesco
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.