Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 08 Texas Edition DC developed the dreaded Tundra tick and all of a sudden one day all hell broke loose under the hood! I sent my baby to the shop to have the tensioner system replaced. My mechanic says it’s not the timing chain you need a new engine! I said check it anyways! He agreed and sure enough the chain was extremely sloppy! So he replaced the whole unit on both sides and put it bk together! Cranks it up and calls me and says I have a thrown rod! Says that they probably both happened at the same time! I dnt know what to do! Does this sound right to you guys? It doesn’t to me! I dnt have a ton of faith in this mechanic and to keep in mind I’m the 2nd owner and I change the oil religiously and use Mobil 1 but recently switched to Royal Purple and I baby my girl! 08 Texas Edition DC 5.7 with 212k any advice is greatly appreciated guys! Thanks in advance!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like your mechanic needs replacing.
I agree but I just really haven’t ever heard of these trucks throwing rods or blowing up like that! I was driving along when the timing chain went sloppy n was flopping around but it still ran and I pulled over and cut the engine off! I’m just at my wits end and need that truck for my business. It’s been in the shop for a month now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.