Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am getting a weird thump or jerk around 35 MPH when the truck shifts. It feels similar so hitting a small pot hole, kind of jerks you forward in your seat. It doesn't happen very often at all, maybe 4 times in the last 2,000 miles.

I still have a warranty on it so if this a sign of a future larger problem I would like to get it address before the warranty expires.

2007 DC 4x4 71K miles

I bought it used about 2K miles ago so not sure how much abuse it has taken by the PO. Does have the tow package but a brake controller was never installed by the PO. Cable still has the cap on it under the dash.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I get something similar, although yours sounds a little rougher. It only happens when slowing under very light throttle. I've learned to modulate it so it almost never happens anymore. As long everything else is working, I'll just leave mine.

I figure if it's a major problem it will get worse. I still have about 2 1/2 years of warranty left.

·
Registered
146 Posts
there is a weird stumble between first and second depending on the gas you are giving it. It feels like a bad manual shift, similar to letting off the clutch a touch to early, and keeping it alive with extra gas after.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 13 DC with 7k on it. Had the ECM updated per a recent TSB. My truck bumps and jerks in and out of overdrive like it is confused just crusing 45-55 mph. Prior to the dealer doing the ECM update it shifted smoothly between all gears. I did notice a bump in fuel mileage after the update but this shifting issue is driving me crazy. I really need a competent Toyota dealer in the metro Atlanta area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 07 and it does that when doing about 40 mph at light throttle when it shifts down from overdrive. I don't think it is a problem with the tranny but more with the shifting / speed programming. I have 70k miles and the transmission is in perfect condition and the fluid is clean.
I really do not consider it a problem and have learned to either let off the throttle more to get the immediate downshift, or just speed up a little if I'm not approaching a stop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toyota put a new transmission in my truck @ 7500 mi on the odometer. City driving below 50mph I lock out 6th gear and the truck drives better.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My brand new '13 DC 5.7l 4x4 with tow and TRD package has a very similar 'clunky' shift around the same speed that, as described above, feels like a bad manual shift - letting off the clutch a little too quickly. I started noticing it around 1200 miles and brought it up with the dealership; they looked at me like I was crazy. I also get the 'bump from behind' when I shift in to drive. My truck has 2200 miles on it and it's starting to drive me crazy. It seems to be most prominent when I have the A/C running. A/C off, and it's a lot less noticeable. When I did a little searching on this site, somebody suggested turning all of the traction control off. Crazy as it sounded, I figured it wouldn't hurt so I tried it. Shifting was GREATLY improved. So I suppose it could just be poor shift programming :( I just had the ECM reflashed due to a TSB but they said it only affected the AIP systems. I didn't notice any difference in transmission behavior. It could also be a low fluid level (I think there was a TSB for this on the earlier models?).

At heavy throttle the shift isn't 100% better, but improved. That also moves the shift from 35MPH to 55MPH.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My '10 does it at times. Did it yesterday light throttle with slight grade around 40-45, bump it dropped out of OD into lower gear. Doesn't do it all the time just under similar situations described above. 62k miles of towing and commuting no transmission service done to date. I'm not to concerned about it no more than its done it in the trucks life span.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have that every once in a while on my '13 w/ 7k mi's, but I had a G8 GT prior and was used to it, it's a combo of a few things. first a poor shift by the transmission, then there's "rebound" caused by the poor shift giving and then quickly taking up the backlash when the load is lost and then regained by the transmission, the "thud" is probably coming from the gears in the differential slamming into each other. other variables like speed, load and the incline or decline of grade affect the size and type of "thud"

here's a link that has pretty pictures:

https://wikis.bris.ac.uk/download/attachments/48268548/driveline.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1338501988000

Just remember, the Tundra might ride like a car, but it is still a truck, and having the largest ring gear in it's class might have a bit to do with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts