Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at Pioneer AVH p4400 bh or AVH p8400 bh. Any thoughts? Are there better head units for the price of these. Main thing Im looking for here is the ability to add a rear view camera, as well as better sound.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You should be able to get either of those for a decent deal since they are last year's models. The new line-up are the AVH-X series (4500, 5500, 8500). There is not a whole lot of difference between them but if you are an android user, you will definitely want the AVH-X series so you can stream pandora and also stream music stored on your phone. The AVH-P series is not android compatible with pandora. The 8400 (or 8500 in the new series) have a detachable face and the ap mode on the 8500 will work with android, not just iPhone.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info. Didnt know they were last years models. I have an android phone, so the newer unit would be better. I guess I will look at an 5500 also. Then I can try and compare the differences in the 3 different models to see if going up is actually worth the money. Detachable face plates dont really interest me. If I get a radio with one, it will never come off. Seems like a hassle.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've had my 5500 pretty much since they came out and love it. I use my Samsung SIII with it and it works flawlessly streaming pandora and music stored on the phone. I didn't really care about the detachable face but I do wish the 5500 worked with android in ap mode but I wasn't willing to spend the extra money on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx again for the info. Im looking at the 5500 or the 8500. Trying to figure if the 8500 is worth the extra money.This will be the first step in upgrading the whole system in my truck. Eventually Ill add a sub when I figure a suitable location for it. Ill try and find good speakers that give really good sound while fitting my stock speaker locations.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like the 8500 adds an sd card slot, detachable face, and two rear usb ports for an extra $150.00. Not really needed by me. Now do I buy from cruthchfield or ebay?

·
Registered
333 Posts
You're going to pay retail from Crutchfield but their customer service is outstanding. With ebay, You're taking a chance. You might want to see what Crutchfield has for a price and then go to a local shop and see if they have it for the same or less.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah, don't pay $499 for that deck. I didn't even pay that for mine when they had only been out a couple of weeks. You should be able to find it locally on sale for less than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts