Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned my 2002 Tundra Limited since it was new - it's now nearing 178,000 miles.

I've been driving my wife's 2015 Camry - it has a lot of accessories, including GPS, backup camera, etc. One feature that I have come to really like is the digital compass that appears in the lower corner of the rear view mirror.

How practical would it be to have one installed in my old Tundra? I'm not savvy at all about this kind of stuff. Would such a compass require having GPS?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Beaumont

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
It's just a compass. You can find many compasses available. I have had one in every vehicle I have owned since 2004, and don't really see the need, however GPS is nice to have, and more functional than a compass.

You can possibly find a replacement rear view mirror with a built in compass, however it would require wiring for it to operate, can't say it's worth the time, unless you really like to know you are heading north to north-eastish.

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
You talking Garmin/etc or factory add on ? Scout is out because I have an Obama flip phone... old school.

If you have a 2014-17 SR5 or limited without nav, find a used stock head unit that does have it (has to be non-JBL on eBay, forum, etc.) and it's a plug and play swap, nothing else needed. I don't know for sure about the 2018-19, but I assume it would also work with a like year replacement.

And of course you can always go with a aftermarket H.U.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you have a 2014-17 SR5 or limited without nav, find a used stock head unit that does have it (has to be non-JBL on eBay, forum, etc.) and it's a plug and play swap, nothing else needed. I don't know for sure about the 2018-19, but I assume it would also work with a like year replacement.

And of course you can always go with a aftermarket H.U.
Ahh, It never crossed my mind to check into this. I have a '19. I think the last time I messed with a radio was putting a Kenwood in a Chevelle or something. I've never worried too much about radios and music just usually kept what was there but now days the can do so much. Thanks for the tip! Do you know if the units that come with factory navigation need a paid subscription?

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
Ahh, It never crossed my mind to check into this. I have a '19. I think the last time I messed with a radio was putting a Kenwood in a Chevelle or something. I've never worried too much about radios and music just usually kept what was there but now days the can do so much. Thanks for the tip! Do you know if the units that come with factory navigation need a paid subscription?

No, they do not. If you want to update the maps every few years you need to buy an SD card with the new maps from Toyota or do like I did and find one on eBay for cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts