Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I'm new to the board (I think) - I thought I had an account but had to re-register. Anyway, I've had 2 Tundras - a 2010 and a 2017. I really liked them. I've driven a full size truck since like 2000 and needed a change for a smaller vehicle. So I bought a Wrangler. Yeah not a good idea. After 20 years of full size trucks I went to this little bitty thing. Anyway, I traded that for a Gladiator. Its nice but I worry about reliability and its still a bit small especially when I go for wood pellets for the fall . Things seems to break then magically fix themselves by the next day on the Jeeps. But they are nice and have a lot of nice options.

So my question is now that Toyota has gone to the V6 in the Tundras, is it basically the same set up as the Tacoma's? I've heard from others that the 10 speed transmission seem to have issues searching for gears and it does not have the get up that I remember of my other Tundras. One guy told me it can't get out of its own way.

Does anyone have any knowledge on availability and whether the dealers are selling over MSRP? I may hold off for a bit but I think its worth getting the lay of the land.....

Thanks for the input....

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a brand new Tundra. I was lucky to see the only one my dealer received. They claim 10 ordered, all sold. No idea when they will get more. Think it will take months to get realistic feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll keep my Jeep for another year or so and wait for Toyota to iron out the issues (which they will) . I was soooo ready to drive something smaller. Never thought I'd miss the big trucks since I had them for so long. But I'm a little spoiled being able to special order my Jeep with exactly what I wanted. But I have to say Toyota's reliability is the absolute best. Out of my two Tundra's I had, there was one morning my battery died. That's the only incident I ever had. That's amazing. Like I said, my Jeep breaks then magically fixes itself the next day which makes me a little nervous.

·
Registered
2016 CrewMax SR5 4x4
25 Posts
I just went from a Jeep Gladiator to a Tundra, granted mine is not the '22 Tundra. I miss the interior features and convenience of the Jeep. Auto headlights, auto climate, push button start, proximity entry, tire pressure display, more USB ports, heated steering wheel, heated seats, etc. etc. Was just a MUCH nicer vehicle. And that's all considering that this Tundra has the "interior upgrade package"! Sad! Payload capacity was 1,221 lbs. vs 1,240 on my Tundra so virtually identical. The Jeep had 41 lb/ft more torque so better at towing, and the diesel got literally double the fuel economy compared to this Tundra.

So why did I switch? It all comes down to space, specifically interior space. I'm 6'3" and I have a wife and 3 kids. We were cramped in the Jeep like sardines. That's what it all boiled down to. If the Jeep was bigger on the inside I'd keep it forever, but it's not. So I saw this perfect 1 owner specimen at the Jeep dealership locally and traded.

I did look into the '22 Tundra before puchasing, but honestly the new Tundra does have several issues whether people want to admit it or not. Body fitment issues, interior material issues, power steering issues, turbo actuators failing, complaints of poor fuel economy, etc. etc. AND to make it worse dealers are marking them up $7,500 or more in most places. So, I decided to pick up a lightly used Tundra instead and wait until things become normal again in a couple of years!! Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
For every dealer marking up, there is another one nearby that isn't. Anybody that pays markup is just impatient and has money to waste.
The issues with the turbo are caught and trucks are not leaving the factory with the issue.
Mine is hopefully being built in a couple weeks. I'm not worried at all.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Friend of mine with solid insider info says
they are operating at 30 percent factory capacity. That's about 3000 trucks a month at that rate, might take awhile to get in balance with demand.

If you're not in a particular hurry 2024 might be a good time to buy. Of course interest rates will be climbing for a bit so that will need to be factored in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Gladiator is still pretty new. My only reason for looking at the Tundra is because I miss the bigger truck and the 2 Tundras I had were so darn reliable. I can wait a year. It's more of a desire than a need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems like no one is even talking about the 2022 anymore. Or at least I can't find a lot of discussion on it. Are the problem being taken care of now. Toyota stepping up to compensate for the inconvenience? Deals on 2022's?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 22 tundra owners facebook page is busy. I just heard of someone that had a february build and just had a waste gate issue and they went through the fender to replace the turbo. Got his truck back in 2 days.
Sounds like they figured out most of the issues.
I still have horrible wind noise above 50. They put some wind deflector below the cal but it didn't help at all. I have a love hate relationship with my new truck. Mostly love but there are some things about it that really leave me wondering WTF they were thinking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts