Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

181 - 200 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Sup my tundra brotha

Are you planning to add rock sliders after the bumper is installed ?
Absolutely! But I will have to go custom. The current sliders on the market do not mount to the frame properly. There needs to be a frame connection right behind the front wheel. This way when your front tire drops off a ledge or rock, there will be frame support for the slider right at the point of impact.

The plan for sliders is to first fully box the entire frame. After that, we will do reinforcing plates for the slider mounts on the outside of the frame. Frame mounts will be gusseted also.

Im also going to do full skids and bob the rear. Rear tube bumper and I am considering a rear winch, but that may be overkill

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Im also going to do full skids and bob the rear. Rear tube bumper and I am considering a rear winch, but that may be overkill
Bobbing the rear will help out a ton with departure angle/reverse approach. I have already folded up one of my bedsides backing up onto a small 2' ledge. Plus, if done right and in concert with the new rear tube bumper you have planned, it will look dope.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
At Deaver Springs right now. Jeff is gonna take care of my leaf packs. I mocked up all my permanent weight with sand bags. It's sitting about an inch or two from the start of the bump stroke (3" stroke). I told him to give me as much lift as possible without killing the ride. Hopefully I'll gain a good 3-4"

When I hit the trail for a long excursion, I'll add about 400-500# max in fluid and gear weight. That may sag it 2-3" which I will gain back as I use fluid. Weekend trips should only be about 300#

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When I hit the trail for a long excursion, I'll add about 400-500# max in fluid and gear weight. That may sag it 2-3" which I will gain back as I use fluid. Weekend trips should only be about 300#
Really? I roll around daily with 300# - it adds up quick. No doubt you have done your homework, but I did some quick math on what you have posted that you would be carrying for long excursions and it seems like you would be well over 700# and easily above 800# when all is said and done?

Do you mind sharing your breakdown of weight? Just curious as weight is one of the hardest things to manage.

Edit: maybe it is 400-500# in addition to your "permanent" weight like spares, recovery, tent, batteries, etc.? What will be your total total payload starting from stock/empty?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Really? I roll around daily with 300# - it adds up quick. No doubt you have done your homework, but I did some quick math on what you have posted that you would be carrying for long excursions and it seems like you would be well over 700# and easily above 800# when all is said and done?

Do you mind sharing your breakdown of weight? Just curious as weight is one of the hardest things to manage.
The Truck is a dedicated RV now. So two full size spares, 150# of battery, RTT/awning/rack, 82q fridge, and miscellaneous tools/equipment are going to be permanent weight on The Truck. I don't have batteries and fridge so I mocked it with sand bags. I asked Jeff to lift it as high as possible while still keeping a plush ride

When I hit the trail, max additional weight will be 2 cans fuel, 4 cans water, 50# gear box, 100ish# firewood, 35# MTB, food beer etc

·
Registered
409 Posts
@Dragos28 too late he picked one of those up yesterday!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lol PHAT haven't heard that in years!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Is this what you had in mind next? :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Absolutely! But I will have to go custom. The current sliders on the market do not mount to the frame properly. There needs to be a frame connection right behind the front wheel. This way when your front tire drops off a ledge or rock, there will be frame support for the slider right at the point of impact.

The plan for sliders is to first fully box the entire frame. After that, we will do reinforcing plates for the slider mounts on the outside of the frame. Frame mounts will be gusseted also.

Look into these (what I'm planning on getting):
https://www.allprooffroad.com/00-06tundrarocksliders

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #199

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yea, I'm waiting on that information from AP also before I pull the trigger. I don't think you'll need, nor want to spend that much money, on 4130 sliders. I had DO's sliders (DOM-based) on my FJ and I dropped hard on them at least 2-3 dozen times when crawling. I've also seen the abuse Jason (owner of DO) has put his sliders through on his Tundra. DOM is definitely strong enough and even if you somehow abuse it to hell it'll be cheaper to replace than 4130.

181 - 200 of 424 Posts