Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I finally got bit by the bug to get some new wheels. I also think I've found some good deals on the wheels I'm interested in. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that the cost of the wheels is only a part of what I'll end up spending when it's all said and done. So for the folks out there that have gone this route before me (and I know there are a ton of you here) what other things am I going to end up having to pay for to get new wheels installed?

1. The wheels (obviously)
2. Mounting and balancing (obviously)
3. Will my current TPMS sensors work? I've got the black and machined Texas Edition 20's.
4. If I can use my current sensors will they recommend TPMS rebuild kits despite only having 6k mi on my current wheels?
5. What about lug nuts? I assume my current ones won't work?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Many times if you are buying new rims the lug nuts will be included with the rims (at least in my experiences with larger online places). At a local spot it's hit or miss with the lug nuts. Also I hear that if you have the aluminum rims the tpms sensors will fit the new aluminum rims, however they wont cross over to steel rims and vice versa.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Rimzonline, my wheels came with lug nuts. My Toyota tpms sensors works flawlessly with new wheels. Also the wheels were hubcentric so I didn't need any hubcentric rings. The only other extra I had to pay was to put my stock tires on new wheels and balance and mount, all for about $80 (I guess this fee will vary from region to region).

Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
This looks like a good reason to do the "TPMS delete mod". I don't even have custom wheels and I got rid of the sensors. The TPMS delete mod fools the computer into thinking everything is ok with the tires.

You will never miss the TPMS system.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm looking at some XD wheels. I assume the TPMS should work with those since I'm going aluminum to aluminum.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Around here swapping rims/tires/tpms would run you $80-100 range.
Type of lugs depends on what rims you get, like it was said before if they aren't included in with the wheels you can usually get them included for free if you ask.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
The wheel guys around here say it is the law that they have to install TPMS rebuild kits every time they change the tires. Get some wheel bands and mount the old TPMS inside the tires. Then you never have to worry about it again until the batteries run out.

And yes, you need new lug nuts. But be sure to keep a set of the old lug nuts in the truck for the spare tire.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But be sure to keep a set of the old lug nuts in the truck for the spare tire.
Great point. I would've totally forgot about that. I hate to sell the stock rims with only 3 sets of lug nuts but I guess the buyer will have to understand.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
The wheel guys around here say it is the law that they have to install TPMS rebuild kits every time they change the tires. Get some wheel bands and mount the old TPMS inside the tires. Then you never have to worry about it again until the batteries run out.

And yes, you need new lug nuts. But be sure to keep a set of the old lug nuts in the truck for the spare tire.
I just have a hard time taking leagal advice from a tire/wheel guy. Is it aginst the law to remove the TPMS sensors? Kinda curious.

·
13,742 Posts
I just have a hard time taking leagal advice from a tire/wheel guy. Is it aginst the law to remove the TPMS sensors? Kinda curious.
I know what you mean about trusting them. It's supposed to be illegal for a tire shop to remove them from a wheel that is mounted on a vehicle with a TPMS. YOU can do whatever you want to your own wheel. However, if you just bring in some wheels and tires in the bed of your truck and have the TPMS swapped out with regular valve stems and not mounted on the truck, then that's no problem. Then either you install them yourself on the truck or bring it in again I guess.

I had my TPMS mounted on bands inside the tires. No fitment issue and never have to pay for rebuild kits.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I see.

I wonder if they gave me no trouble because I opt out of the tire warrenty shit when I got tires.

KO

·
13,742 Posts
Could be a state law.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Could be. What isn't? Its also illegal to drive 56 in a 55.

Reactions: theoat

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
So I'm looking at some XD wheels. I assume the TPMS should work with those since I'm going aluminum to aluminum.
Tire Rack will usually tell you whether or not the factory TPMS will work or not.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Great point. I would've totally forgot about that. I hate to sell the stock rims with only 3 sets of lug nuts but I guess the buyer will have to understand.
Good point!! I need to do this when I get home.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Typically, no. Sensors from steel and aluminum wheels are not interchangeable, but there are some ways to make it work. Some have recommended wheel bands that basically allow you to secure the TPMS sensors inside the wheel without using it as the valve stem. I've also heard of some folks flipping the sensors upside down or something like that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone have experience qith or read reviews on Ultra rims from TireRack? They are fairly inexpensive which is nice but makes me nervous about the quality.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
You always get what you pay for..... especially when it comes to wheels.
I am expecting to pay around 4-5000.00 for my set up. Good quality, forged, light wheels.

Reactions: SC Tuna
1 - 20 of 23 Posts