Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Tundra 2WD 4.7 V8
Was driving on a 600 mile round trip last Saturday when about 250 miles in, I inadvertently ran over a box turtle at 70mph (may or may not be related but thought I would throw that in)
after a stop for 2 hrs, I got back on the road and noticed a whirring sound under the hood when I was at a stop light or so. Kinda like you would think a idler or tension pulley going bad.
My volt meter on my dash was reading below the the center mark (normal position) which is not normal for this truck
I continued on my trip back home watching the meter go back and forth between normal and the low readings.
I noticed at a stop light I did not hear any whirring when the meter was in normal position.
Made it home and the next morning I went out and started the truck, whirrin sound and dash shows low reading.
By the time I got my electrical volt meter out, the dash volt meter was back on center and battery showed 13.8 volts.
The next morning I had my electrical meter ready before starting.
Started truck...... volt meter on dash below center. Under the hood, battery showed 12.4 volts with truck running
all of a sudden I heard a noise like something kicked in and voltage at battery jumped to 13.8
I can only assume the alternator is on its way out?
Can they work in and out for awhile?
Is the turtle the culprit since this alternator is nearly on the ground under there?:(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Find a local starter/ alternator rebuild shop and take it to them. BTW how many miles on it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts