Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, I just ordered up a set of cryogenically treated rotors for my gen1 Tundra. I'm doing the brake inspection here:

Getting ready for pismo and big bear by bamufflers, on Flickr

This will be the 3rd or 4th set of cryo rotors I've run on this truck since I bought it new in 2003. If anyone has seen how I or my wife drives this truck it's really saying something when I make the statement that these brakes work really well. The stock rotors warped a week after buying the truck. Toyota warrantied the brakes. Then a week later they warped again and Toyota changed em under the TSB. haha, like 2 weeks later they were warped again!!

After all the above fun I began researching alternatives to the stock brakes. With a big brake kit being stupid expensive I decided to try cryogenically treated rotors. This was a surprisingly effective way to substantially increase the life of your rotors!! The set that I am replacing (as soon as they come in) has had 3 sets of EBC greenstuff pads grinding against them for the past several years. They have a lip ground into them and only recently begun to chatter (after hot lapping at Qualcomm race legal:)

i apologize for starting a new thread without posting pics or a how to, I will as soon as the parts come in (hopefully tomorrow) A set came in last week but I went ahead and sold em to my buddy Dan since he needed em more than I did. I can tell you first hand, these rotors are friggin awesome!! They are coated so that they don't rust, they are cryogenically treated, they are slotted, they are awesome.

Like I said, I'll post up pics of the install asap, in the mean time, here's pricing for a GEN2 tundra:

Front rotors (smooth face) $150+shipping each
Rear rotors (smooth face) $130+shipping each

And my preference:
Front rotors (slotted face) $195+shipping each
Rear rotors (slotted face) $175+shipping each

Please email me for shipping quotes. And call with questions or to place order

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
When you say "each" is that a pair for front then rear or individual....just want to be clear. You have my attention.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do they make them for the Gen2 Tundra's? I think I have warped my cross drilled and slotted Power Stop rotors. Pretty sure repeated 0-120MPH bursts with heavy 22's, then getting hard on the brakes are to blame. Getting some front end shimmy when stepping on the brakes, just like the stockers use to do.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the questions guys. The pricing that I posted is 'per side' and IS for a 2gen tundra. I only posted the pic of my 1gen because I'm doing the brakes on it, the 2gen only has 6k miles on it, but damn I wish I could put these cryo/slotted rotors on it!! Stops sooooo much better, and last much longer.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
How much are these things now days, I want to change the pads and rotors. Nothing fancy. Just cryo

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
nothin?? i'll start my search online then

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for the delay guys. I can do them for $195 ea +shipping.

these are the badass rotors cryo, slotted, with zinc coating so they never get rusty. And they never warp since they're cryo.

best way to get a hold of me is to call me, or text.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keith,

What kind of pads do you recommend for cryo treated rotors or does it not matter? I hear so many good things about Hawk LTS but then another user stated they are not good for treated cryo rotors. Is that true?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keith,

What kind of pads do you recommend for cryo treated rotors or does it not matter? I hear so many good things about Hawk LTS but then another user stated they are not good for treated cryo rotors. Is that true?
Hmm. I don't see any reason hawk pads would not work with cryo treated pads?? I've never tested hawks, but have heard lots of good things about them.

That said, my preference is EBC Yellow stuff pads.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
How does one deal with the rust lip buildup around the edge of the rotors where the pads don't touch when they can't be turned?

Something I've always wondered about the drilled/slotted rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Best Place from Cryo Rotors?

My CM is at about 70k Miles. I am sure its due front brakes soon.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
ebay.. you can get the powerslot slotted around $140 a piece

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best Place from Cryo Rotors?

My CM is at about 70k Miles. I am sure its due front brakes soon.
You can certainly buy lower quality rotors from an unknown seller and take your chances.

But I've found that it's better to use a resource that will stand up for YOU if there is an issue and has first hand knowledge on our trucks. You just don't find that sort of thing anymore.

I personally sell and use frozen rotors, and that company also freezes the centric rotors that powerslot sells, FOR powerslot. I can also sell those too;)

That said, give me a call for the best customer support and technical knowledge possible.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
How much are these things now days, I want to change the pads and rotors. Nothing fancy. Just cryo
Cryo Treated rotors are the best when it comes to strength and endurance. Stoptech is the performance division of Centric Parts and has a full line of Cryo treated rotor options.

Swing by BuyBrakes.com where you can check out the many offerings and find the right rotors and brake setup for your needs. Make sure to use Tundratalk10 at checkout for some additional savings!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Cryo Treated rotors are the best when it comes to strength and endurance. Stoptech is the performance division of Centric Parts and has a full line of Cryo treated rotor options.

Swing by BuyBrakes.com where you can check out the many offerings and find the right rotors and brake setup for your needs. Make sure to use Tundratalk10 at checkout for some additional savings!

Yep, getting ready to replace mine after 64k still not warped, just minimum thickness has been met

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts