Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Master built 40" digital electric smoker a few weeks ago it has digital remote that show temps, time, and you can control the smoker with it.... it also has built in meat probe, LED lighting, wood tray is super easy as well, etc... used it 2 times so far. I am by no means an expert, but I'm trying to be lol. Before this one i had a charcoal smoker.

Everyone should post up recipes, pics, tips, etc...

Today I made a 12lb beef brisket, 10lb baby back ribs, 12lb chicken

Last weekend for my trial run in the new smoker, I made a 10lb pork shoulder for pulled pork

·
Registered
535 Posts
Looks good. Practice makes perfect. I have a buddy who started from square one, and is now making some killer stuff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here's mine :) I mostly do Salmon and Elk snack sticks. Still working on perfecting the snack sticks - they're harder than they look :lol5:

I built my own smoke generator so I can smoke at low temps. I also installed a remote digital thermometer.

It just tastes better when you do it all your self :D

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's mine :) I mostly do Salmon and Elk snack sticks. Still working on perfecting the snack sticks - they're harder than they look :lol5:

I built my own smoke generator so I can smoke at low temps. I also installed a remote digital thermometer.

It just tastes better when you do it all your self :D
That's a nice setup. People think smoking food is easy haha... I'm wore out even with this electric smoker and not having to chase charcoal all day

Reactions: BigBlueAZ

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Green Egg all the way!!!
My dad has the Big Green Egg. We were in home depot one day and they had it marked to 279.99 by mistake and they had to honor the price. Unfortunately they only had one so I didn't get one. It's amazing how little charcoal it takes to cook

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I have a smoke that I use for fish and it automatically dispenses the pucks. Chum and coho are the best for smoking!

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
electric or not you all dont put in some smoke/wood chips!?

i usually let the wood chips sit in water for about a night, put them at the bottom where the burner is to give that food some flavor.
My electric uses wood chips. It's got a slide out compartment for them. I mix apple and hickory and soak them in warm water for 2 to 3 hours and they're good to go. I use about a cup of chips an hour. Electric is soooo nice and consistent heat and tastes fantastic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My electric uses wood chips. It's got a slide out compartment for them. I mix apple and hickory and soak them in warm water for 2 to 3 hours and they're good to go. I use about a cup of chips an hour. Electric is soooo nice and consistent heat and tastes fantastic.
chips is where its at.

sometimes ive done some whiskey and other times ive done beer and you would think its a waste but you can actually taste it in the meat, which is really good (some may say its a waste though)

i just noticed in all of the pics posted i didnt see any chips anywhere

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you look in the 2nd pic on the bottom right of my smoker.... that handle turns and slides out to put the chips in. Then you push it back in and turn it and it drops them into the pan above the heating element. I never have to open the door on mine unless it's to baste or spritz my apple cider/water/rub mix on the meat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My chips are in the long aluminum tube on the side. There is a hole in the bottom with screen to light them through. Fill it up and it makes smoke for 16+ hours. I usually cold smoke for 4-5 hours before turning the electric element on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I built a smoker two years ago out of an old 55 gallon steel drum. Best BBQ I've ever made is on that drum! Doesn't use a lot of charcoal either and will keep heat for hours. I'm about to break it out for the season now that winter has finally left the northeast.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
My dad has the Big Green Egg. We were in home depot one day and they had it marked to 279.99 by mistake and they had to honor the price. Unfortunately they only had one so I didn't get one. It's amazing how little charcoal it takes to cook
Lucky sob. I'd love one of those but they ALOT of dough!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you look in the 2nd pic on the bottom right of my smoker.... that handle turns and slides out to put the chips in. Then you push it back in and turn it and it drops them into the pan above the heating element. I never have to open the door on mine unless it's to baste or spritz my apple cider/water/rub mix on the meat.
ah i see!

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
The basic rock structure is still there but I helped my dad build a smoker 30 some years ago. We dug a tunnel then lined it with rock and sit two 55 gallone drums on top. We cut racks to fit in the drums.

It was pretty awesome for about twenty years.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts