Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2010 tundra rock warrior, in 2010, battery dies, if not started daily. Yes, I'm very tired of this bs. Has anyone Purchased a battery that can handle toyotas failure? Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tundra
11 Posts
If you have never replaced the battery it's past due. Just buy something good like an Interstate. No Wal-Mart please since they are junk. Too many of our customers put them in and they don't last!

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Toyota battery in my '07 Tundra is almost 5 years old, it's working fine, but they don't last forever. I will replace it with another Toyota battery when it dies.

Edit: I do top off the cells with distilled water from time to time, this keeps them healthy for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tundra
11 Posts
Today's batteries are designed to be maintenance free. Opening up to add water to the cells could void your warranty so while it's under free replacement can't recommend doing that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Today's batteries are designed to be maintenance free. Opening up to add water to the cells could void your warranty so while it's under free replacement can't recommend doing that.
No it won't void your warranty, and if the two caps are removable, it's not a sealed "maintenance free" battery.

·
Registered
2016 Tundra TRD Off-road
38 Posts
My 2016 battery died this winter. I bought an AGM battery from Batteries Plus. What a beast of a battery with over 800 CCA. Years ago I switched to AGMs in my trucks and love their steady reliable power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same problem...2014 Tundra. Just bought this battery last year and truck needs to be run almost daily to keep battery from dying. Truck is not my daily driver. Even running truck in driveway for 20 minutes doesn't recharge battery. It is not the battery as this was why I replaced the last one. Do I just need to keep on trickle charger?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If you have a fresh battery and it dies after a couple days then you have a parasitic draw. Those can be tricky to find, but with a meter and patience it can be done.

As far as the battery type/brand, it matters not. Buy the cheapest lead-acid you can find, it’ll be fine. I jumped on the AGM band wagon years ago….they all failed prematurely, every single one. I ran an Optima yellow top in the truck, red top in the wife’s car and my woods toy, blue tops in the boat and camper. Not a single one made it past 3 years.

Now, I run Walmart everstart batteries in all my vehicles, camper, boat…..newest one(s) are on the camper (100ah DC), and at 3 years old they are still going strong (just put them back on board Sunday). Oldest one is in my mothers Rav4, that’s 8 years old….still going strong.

AGM is only good for multi positioning of the battery (you can mount it on its side if needed). No other benefit….NONE.

Battery brand loyalty is as ridiculous as oil brand loyalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: H2O MAN

·
Registered
2016 Tundra TRD Off-road
38 Posts
“I ran an Optima yellow top in the truck, red top in the wife’s car and my woods toy, blue tops in the boat and camper. Not a single one made it past 3 years.”

wow. That’s surprising. I went the yellow top AGM route 20 years ago when my suburban killed 3 diehards in under a year each. That yellow top lasted 8 years, until I sold the truck and it was still going strong then. I’ve had nothing but AGMs for my power hungry trucks since then. Too bad you had a bad experience.

·
Registered
170 Posts
AGMs do not stand up well to rough washboard road type of driving. My suggestion (my original 2011 Tundra battery lasted 7 years in Wyoming) is to buy the biggest conventional battery with the highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) Rating, and Reserve capacity. (and longest warranty). If you can check electrolyte level check it periodically. Batteries are built a little differently for geographic location: cold climates versus hotter climates. Also keep the terminals clean.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I buy the largest Top of the line CCA made by my local battery manufacturer. They are better, cheaper, have a great warranty and last longer than any mass produced big name battery. Factory battery was only good for 2 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The truck isn't driven daily, but neither my other 5 vehicles, but they're all stated weekly, the Toyota at least every other day, or it won't have enough charge to start. It did it with all the batteries, being its not driven daily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts