Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always had issue's getting my tundra inspected because my tail lights are smoked LED's. Even tho they are smoked they are brighter than stock tail lights. I never have issues with cops only on my annual visit to get it inspected. So I went to get my truck inspected today when I got fed up with a whole new line of BS. This past summer I decided to bite the bullet and buy some new retrofitted lights from Custom 54 Lighting and fog lights. They are fantastic after they got installed and couldn't be happier. Not thinking of anything I went to get my tundra inspected today and the guy refused to inspect my truck, I curiously replied why?

-SASG "Stupid Auto Shop Guy", "Well LED high lights are now illegal"
-Me "Well I don't have LED's I have HID's"
-SASG "Yeah thats what I meant"
-Me "well those are different so which one is it?"
SASG "your lights have the ballast connected to it right?"
-Me "yes,
-SASG "yeah you can't have those anymore"
-Me "well my wife has factory HID's so will she have problems getting her car inspected?"
-SASG "factory lights are okay, aftermarket lights is whats outlawed now as of Sept 1st 2017"
-Me " can you show my the law, I've never heard of this change?"
-SASG "I don't have a copy of it"
-Me "so my lights are illegal but you can't show me anything to prove that and its almost 2.5 months after the change has been in effect"

Any who had to take a ride to little Mexico to get the inspection without a single question, what are some weird things you guys have encountered trying to get your trucks inspected.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I flunked last month because my parking brake wouldn't hold the truck after you goosed the gas. It worked as it should but that inspector said no.

So I took it to another inspection station and I passed.

I've used my parking brake about 6 times in the past 5 years. So yeah, I hate saying this, but I would shop around for inspection stations.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
I use my parking brake often, however, not really sure how well it would hold when goosing it...

I mean, it is supposed to hold on hills, and it does that, but gassing it, hell naw, a v8 vs parking brake... :lol5:

·
Registered
791 Posts
That's what the second inspector was saying. These trucks have so much low end power that it would over power the parking brake.

Either way my truck is legal now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did PA inspections and ran into some issues posted. Nothing with hid or led headlights but for some reason no blue headlights. No smoked taillights as per law and no grill guard covering headlights . Didn’t get chance to ask what to do if they were factory. Some shit was stupid. Inspections should be for making sure vehicle is road safe.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Reactions: 1lowlife and toytec

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Administrator
5,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. I see vehicles with no fenders, no brake lights, bald tires running around weekly. The cops should be catching the obvious stuff but how many of these people are sharing the road with my family with things like worn out brakes?

I'm all for the govt staying out of my life but that's because I'm policing myself. Usually they are Alabama plates maybe we just need alabama to do better.

Reactions: UNTMatt

·
Registered
393 Posts
We have no state inspections here in South Carolina, but if you drive "one eyed" or with a tail light out you will get a hefty ticket!

The trick to passing an inspection is make everything look like it could be OEM. So retrofit projectors into the stock lights rather than 10000k led kit in stock housings, do your wiring really cleanly, and wash and vacuum your truck before you take it in. If you present your vehicle in a "professional" way you're less likely to get some BS excuse and a fix it before they pass it list.

·
Registered
451 Posts
As a former VA State inspector, the inspection should really be about the safety of the vehicle. Things like brakes, wipers, windows all working properly. All the lights on when suppose to? Good. BUT....in VA...almost anything other than stock can get you a rejection. I agree it is a revenue stream. I gave up my license when the Troopers started taking bad cars around with BS failures on them.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Even with our yearly inspections you still see the death traps still on the road. You all have seen them. The ones that may have one headlight and one tail light made out of colored tape...Or the ones where the front windshield is tinted to 5%...Or the ones look and sound like they were the lone survivor to a demolition derby.

Most issues are common sense items. Like the your horn must work, your blinkers all need to work, your brakes need to work, your not burning too much oil, and you don't call too much attention to your self running down the road (even though truck nuts or bull balls are legal).

Yes its all part of the bigger picture, and it is a necessary evil and for everyone's general saftey.

Just think, you could be in a country where the only exterior modifications you can make is what winter of summer tires you can run for that season.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in Texas too.. I went searching for the law but couldn't find it.. They passed a boat load of laws that went into effect Sept 1. It could be that the law was just not on the summaries.. but I couldnt find such a law.

I should add.. I ran across another page for a bill to eliminate vehicle inspections in Texas.
If it is passed, as of Mar 2018 you won't be required to go through it again.

https://goo.gl/pLDHko

There was also nothing about it here - https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/safetyCNGTraining.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.