Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
it was 5.7 V8 Hemi....

Solid construction... absolutely solid feel on the road (better than the tundra).. however, acceleration is limp compared to the 5.7 Tundra.. no comparison there.. the tundra jumps ahead like a sports car.. I was surprised that the ram 5.7 was so sluggish. Interior of the Dodge is much more refined and solid.. the tundra in comparison is several notches below.

I've been eying the ram for a while now.. boy they are a beauty... finally test drove it to get it out of my system....

Still love my tundra.. will not buy a dodge after that wimpy acceleration from start.. (pickup).. and of course.. ram's UNreliability of engine/transmission is legendary. :lol5::lol5:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Does there warranty cover fire damage hahaha

·
Registered
30 Posts
That was similar to when I tested an f150 prior to buying my Tundra. The interior was beautiful, and everything felt pretty well built, but the 5.0 was weak as hell, although with a nice sound. The 6.2 was only available on much too expensive loaded models, and the ecoboost (while pulling as hard as the Toyota 5.7) is way too new tech for my taste, as evidence is showing with the trouble they are having. Plus I'm still not convinced of Ford's reliability relative to Toyota's, even with their recent improvements. I was curious about the rams too, and the Titans. The GMs just weren't much of a factor for actual purchase or curiosity.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
it was 5.7 V8 Hemi....

Solid construction... absolutely solid feel on the road (better than the tundra).. however, acceleration is limp compared to the 5.7 Tundra.. no comparison there.. the tundra jumps ahead like a sports car.. I was surprised that the ram 5.7 was so sluggish. Interior of the Dodge is much more refined and solid.. the tundra in comparison is several notches below.

I've been eying the ram for a while now.. boy they are a beauty... finally test drove it to get it out of my system....

Still love my tundra.. will not buy a dodge after that wimpy acceleration from start.. (pickup).. and of course.. ram's UNreliability of engine/transmission is legendary. :lol5::lol5:
Did ya turn the nannies off?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
it was 5.7 V8 Hemi....

What kind of Tundra are you comparing a Laramie against?

I've been in a 2012 Laramie 3/4 ton and I did not feel the same way about the interior/fit and finish or feeling more "solid" than my '13 Platinum. In fact it felt VERY American car/truck to me which is not to suggest it wasn't nice, I just wouldn't put it ahead of the Tundra Platinum - just my opinion of course.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I like Dodges. I like that other people own them so I can see them without owning one. No thank you very much. Tough looking truck. Equally tough to keep on the road.

Reactions: testerdahl

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
When we were looking at new trucks, this is what we drove or looked at:

Ford F-250/350 Lariat and King Ranch. These interiors are very comfortable. The ride is comparable to my Tundra. I was amazed to say the least. Still a diesel, so I wasn't sure that I wanted to get mixed up in that again. My buddies that have the crew cabs say my CM is bigger inside...that says something. They have been asking me how I honestly like the truck compared to a diesel. I always answer "I don't compare it to one for towing abilities, I compare it to my overall requirements in everyday life". I know my tundra will not tow like a diesel, and I'm ok with that. I also know I'm not going to have the diesel headaches...and I am really happy about that.

Chevy/GMC 2500 LTZ. Interior was nice, but sure wasn't like the Ford. Power wasn't as quick as well. The 6.7 Ford is a lot snappier. The DEF tank was in a retarded location too.

The salesman drove us around in a new Dodge 1500 Laramie Cowboy Edition, fully loaded. I have to say the truck rode pretty good, interior was too "busy" for me. this truck was a bagged truck, so that is why it rode nice. Power was ok, and my experiences with the Hemi are ok at best. I have a few friends that have them in 1500 & 2500 and they really regret that decision especially at the pump. One friend has the power wagon. He is a huge outdoorsman, so this was a good choice...or so he thought. 70k miles and he burns oil and the motor is getting weak.

Ford F-150 EcoBoost, lariat. This is my Father-in-Laws truck. Interior was just like the Heavy Duty diesel trucks, and so is the ride.
The truck has been to the dealer twice now for recalls and the loosing power in rain.
They are not as happy with the fuel economy, so far it has been an average of 17.3mpg.
I really didn't feel like messing around with turbos again concidering my last two dodge diesels ate the turbos. One at 65k and the other at 135k. I had turbo timers on both trucks. Hopefully the people that own the Ecoboost realize that gas burns hotter than diesel and the turbos need to cool down before shutdown. Some will figure out the hard way.

Then I did some real thinking about my purchase, and started thinking about when the last time I had a vehicle that wasn't killing my savings account, I wasn't working on it three times per month, and a towing had to be on my insurance policy. I almost forgot when that was for me, but my wife's last three Toyotas needed two gas caps and one O2 sensor. So for over 300k combined mileage that isn't squat. Her cost per mileage was very cheap. Mine was around 2.90 per mile without fuel, which is ridiculous.

That is how I came to owning my 12' CM SR5. It is comfy, not as nice as the limited/platinum edition trucks, but I use mine as a truck. No need to get a bunch of fancy stuff that will not fair well in mountains. I'm going to out mountain property today to cut firewood, and how rocky it is, 20" rims don't last long with low profile tires.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What kind of Tundra are you comparing a Laramie against?

I've been in a 2012 Laramie 3/4 ton and I did not feel the same way about the interior/fit and finish or feeling more "solid" than my '13 Platinum. In fact it felt VERY American car/truck to me which is not to suggest it wasn't nice, I just wouldn't put it ahead of the Tundra Platinum - just my opinion of course.
What does the Platinum package have over the regular tundras as far as the interior goes?
Aren't all plastic panels, carpet, ceiling and dashboards the same?
I mean sure, you get climate control wich I have in my limited and leather seats which I also have but other than that the inside "core" is the same.
When you compare an ST with a Laramie there is a world of difference between materials used. Toyota gives you a couple of electronic guizmos plus the platinum or limited badge but the rest stays the same. Oh, and the luxurious burl wood plastic panels on the climate control and the doors. (Mine is a limited to I missed out on the climate control burl wood :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't buy a Ram, unless they turn their crappy transmission history around and I wouldn't buy a hemi unless it sits under the hood of a Challenger.

People keep bashing on dodge and F150's but I am pretty sure that if I had to buy a new truck in 2014 it would be an F150. If they were as bad as some people say they are then you wouldn't see that many on the road. I see at least 10 F150's per each tundra on the road in NJ and I am yet to see either one on a flat bed truck.
Ram on the other hand...
My neighbor across the street traded his F150 with over 200000 miles for a Limited CM Tundra. He travels a lot outside the state and said the only major problem he had with his Ford was a differential seal. He wanted a new look so he figured he'd tried the Tundra but it wasn't because he hated his Ford or thought it was a POS.
If I needed a HD truck again, I'd buy a Diesel Ram in a heart beat, but this time with a manual 6 speed tranny!
And yes, I also think that the interior of the Tundra is way behind that of the Ford and Dodge.
GM never did anything for me as far the interior goes.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying the F-150 is junk, they outsell dodge and Toyota combined every year. Ever notice that in tow tests and commercials that Toyota isn't in them? It is because sales wise, they aren't even competition. Now towing and practicality there is some serious competition. It is catching on, more and more Toyota Tundras on the road every day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just FYI. I currently own a 2012 tundra Platinum which supposedly has the best interior among the tundras. Plus my tundra is fully loaded including DVD player for the back.

2013 Rams are quite a bit different than 2012 models. The raising and lowering is new to the 2013. I tested that out and thought it was pretty cool. You have 4 different levels from the lowest (passenger egress) to off road 2 (highest lift). Passenger egress level is as low as getting out of mid size SUV. Cool thing is if you set it to the highest and go at highway speeds, it automatically lowers it to minimize drag.

4 of the 8 valves also shut down to conserve gas when you are not hauling/towing. Results in 19 mpg with the v8. (Meh)

The console electronics are absolutely gorgeous. I hope the tundra 2014 models bridge the interior quality gap to at least some extent coz right now there is no comparison there.

I looked at the one with the ram box and thought it ate up too much room from the bed. Don't like that.

Also I test drove the crew cab model (largest cab for the 1500). Obviously not as big as the crewmax but plenty. Almost as big.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
honestly i dont like the idea of valves being "turned off" during engine use.
funny how these companies compete with sales pitches guaranteeing 2-4 more mpg than the other..........it would take a lifetime to see any savings worth writing home about.

If I want to save gas I either drive the wifes '12 Hybrid Camry XLE that gets now around
43 mpgs on average or just stay home.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
What does the Platinum package have over the regular tundras as far as the interior goes?
Aren't all plastic panels, carpet, ceiling and dashboards the same?
I mean sure, you get climate control wich I have in my limited and leather seats which I also have but other than that the inside "core" is the same.
When you compare an ST with a Laramie there is a world of difference between materials used. Toyota gives you a couple of electronic guizmos plus the platinum or limited badge but the rest stays the same. Oh, and the luxurious burl wood plastic panels on the climate control and the doors. (Mine is a limited to I missed out on the climate control burl wood :rolleyes:)

I wouldn't buy a Ram, unless they turn their crappy transmission history around and I wouldn't buy a hemi unless it sits under the hood of a Challenger.

People keep bashing on dodge and F150's but I am pretty sure that if I had to buy a new truck in 2014 it would be an F150. If they were as bad as some people say they are then you wouldn't see that many on the road. I see at least 10 F150's per each tundra on the road in NJ and I am yet to see either one on a flat bed truck.
Ram on the other hand...
My neighbor across the street traded his F150 with over 200000 miles for a Limited CM Tundra. He travels a lot outside the state and said the only major problem he had with his Ford was a differential seal. He wanted a new look so he figured he'd tried the Tundra but it wasn't because he hated his Ford or thought it was a POS.
If I needed a HD truck again, I'd buy a Diesel Ram in a heart beat, but this time with a manual 6 speed tranny!
And yes, I also think that the interior of the Tundra is way behind that of the Ford and Dodge.
GM never did anything for me as far the interior goes.
My point is, if you are going to provide a comparison review and you go out of your way to state you drove a "Laramie," why not mention the trim level of the Tundra? :confused: But then again, according to your logic the trim level doesn't matter when comparing vehicles so that fact that it was a "Laramie" you drove I guess is irrelevant. Furthermore, based on your logic, Toyota shouldn't even bother offering different trim levels since they are all the same. I guess I should have purchased an SR5 and saved me some $'s. :rolleyes:

You are within your right to like one vehicle over the next, but just because someone disagrees with your analysis does not qualify it as "bashing." Like I said, the Laramie was nice - my brother in-law owns one - it just didn't do it for me which is why I bought a Platinum Tundra.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My point is, if you are going to provide a comparison review and you go out of your way to state you drove a "Laramie," why not mention the trim level of the Tundra? :confused: But then again, according to your logic the trim level doesn't matter when comparing vehicles so that fact that it was a "Laramie" you drove I guess is irrelevant. Furthermore, based on your logic, Toyota shouldn't even bother offering different trim levels since they are all the same. I guess I should have purchased an SR5 and saved me some $'s. :rolleyes:

You are within your right to like one vehicle over the next, but just because someone disagrees with your analysis does not qualify it as "bashing." Like I said, the Laramie was nice - my brother in-law owns one - it just didn't do it for me which is why I bought a Platinum Tundra.
Not sure you understood my comment. My logic is not that there should not be a platinum over sr5.
My comment is simple, Toyota is not the one to give you more bang for your buck when it comes to luxury trim packages,That's what I am stating. Sorry if that bothers you but it is true. I too test drove a 2013 Laramie package diesel Ram and it is A LOT more luxurious than Toyota's Platinum package. I am not saying is a better truck, I am agreeing with the OP on the interior, that's all.
If you think your platinum is gives you more luxury I am good with that, to each it's own I just don't see how a big chunk of plastic for a dashboard will be more luxurious than a double stitch leather wrapped one (just to give an example) plus smaller not as comfortable seats. Is it a better truck? Not for my application, if it was I'd be driving one right now. I love my Tundra, just not oblivious to its plus and minuses ;)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. I know, and have known for a long time that Toyota does not do "luxurious" when it comes to interiors. I've owned them since 1992. Practical, yup. Funtional, yup. Best part of my first Toyota? The cup holder was in front of the a/c vents! Keep the drink damn cold! haha!

Shoot. I'd take a Toyota Hilux. That interior is less fancy than my Tundra! I guess it's just not what I look for in a truck. Besides, sitting at Lake Mead when it's 112 degrees outside and I'd guess 140 degrees in the truck, leather just doesn't sound very appealing. The only envious thing for me in the Limited and Platinum levels are the fancier HVAC knobs. If I could complain about anything, it's the orange dash color. I'd rather have a clean white. Oh, and holy hell the stereo sucks.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
One thing Toyota never excelled at, is marketing and design. Ford has been the king of advertising and competitor bashing forever. I always thought their designs sucked, but they've invested more into interior design than anyone else in the last few years. Seems like Toyota invested in engineering a drivetrain and chassis, found a winner and stuck with it.
Lucky for me, a whiz bang interior wasn't part of my purchase consideration. The base model comes standard with all the creature comfort I need, and then some. The other trucks all had more interior features than the tundra (other than the option of a cab like the CM) but, none of them were standard. They were all part of some trim pkg and jacked up the price.
A platinum tundra does come with a lot more features than my base model. But I have to agree, I don't think they equate to $10-15k in value over a base model.
If leather, sun roof, nice stereo, heated seats, nav, etc, is worth the extra money to you, more power to ya. The important part is that regardless of how much extra lipstick you pay to have put on it, it's still a Toyota underneath.
With a dodge, I don't care how much more lipstick you get for your buck,......
It's still a dodge underneath.
Are dodges, fords and Chevys bad trucks? Nope. But, they're not a Toyota.
So, if I get a much nicer interior in a $40k dodge than I do in a $40k tundra, I'm still picking the tundra, all day long.
But, I digress. This is about interiors. And you're right. For an extra $10k, you will probably get more interior in a dodge or ford.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Every truck will have something you like, but when you compare performance you need to make sure to compare apples to apples. Tundra 5.7l either has a 4.10 or 4.30 rear end, which will make it perform better off the line and in heavy load situations. If your comparing the horsepower/torque the new Hemi updated engine is actually higher than the Tundra's 5.7l.

1 - 20 of 459 Posts