Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to pull the trigger on some 295/70/18 tires and some new Gear Alloy 713mb (Double Pump) wheels. I'm torn on the tires. The Trail Graps look so good but they are probably not the most practical for how I use my truck.

I drive about 90 miles a day round trip for my commute to/from work and it's all interstate driving. So I put a lot of miles on my truck. How will the tread life of the Trails compare to the Terra's?

I do not take my truck off road at all I just like the look (don't hate). How do the Trails handle in wet conditions? I also pull a 22ft boat that weighs about 4,000 pounds dry and some of our ramps can be steep. I also wonder about the wet surface traction on the highway.

The guy at the tire place says the wet handling and tread life on the Trails is going to suck compared to the Terra's with how much I drive.

What are ya'lls thought on this as I'm sure many of you have had both and can give me non biased real world opinions.

Thanks

-E

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have over 20k on my trails and there is still PLENTY of tread left.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got my truck in December and it had pretty new Terra Grapplers on it already. I like them so far. They have a little hum on the highway, but it isn't that bad, especially if the radio is on. They ride really smooth. I had a family member borrow my truck to move something and she commented about how surprised she was that a truck rode so nice on the highway.

I don't have any experience with Trail Grapplers. I like the looks of them but probably wouldn't ever buy them because I won't be off pavement very much.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I personally prefer Trail G, but if I were in your shoes, I would probably get Terra G (If these were the only choices).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I used to have the Terras on my old 4Runner. Loved them. I have run mud terrains on another old Toyota truck too with lots of road use and never had an issue with them either, they were just louder, but those were Goodyear MTR's and BFG MT, I have never run the Trails. I would say get the Trails and if they don't last long enough, get the Terra's next time around. I don't think you will find the noise offensive at all from at least my MT tire experience.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't care about the noise. My main concern is treadlife and wet traction. Easy to say just get the others next time. That's fine if the treadlife is another 45k like I have on my stock BFGs. But not if it's 20-25k...they are too $$$$ to have to replace these after one year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a pic of the 295/70/18 Trails? I just saw a pic of the Terra's in another thread.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the 295/70/18 Trails? I just saw a pic of the Terra's in another thread.

Both the Trails and the Terras are awesome tires. I put 6K on my Terras and just took them off last week, the tread still looks like new. They were mostly used on the street and I towed with them several times as well, however, they also saw some trails on several occasions and light snow on one occasion. They are pretty quiet tires and always handled everything I asked of them with no issue. Overall I would rate them very highly.

The main reason I switched to the Trail Grapper is for the looks but I also want to hit more trails and these will help, IMO the Trails are the best looking aggressive tire available. The Trail Grapplers have an excellent reputation for getting excellent mileage out of a set and I am hoping that is the case. They are noisy at low speeds (like 10-15 mph) but at normal driving speeds they are surprisingly quiet for a MT. I have yet to tow or do any trail rides with them so I cannot comment on that, however, they look much more bad azz than the Terras do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yes the Trails do look good... Terra's aren't quite as aggressive looking, but will be much better in snow and wet conditions. My buddy has the Toyo MT (basically same as Nitto Trail) and they suck terribly in the snow and on wet roads. Everyone says the AT's will last longer too. Your call though. Longevity and looks, or just looks wiith sucky snow and wet performance

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Are you into girls that are more flash than substance? Neither is wrong as long as you are happy and willing to put up with the wow and pain or the practical while still fun

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it doesn't snow here in Georgia very often and there are far more nice days than rainy ones...hmmmm

Oh yeah my truck is 2WD too

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sup sir. You will love the look of the trails, but driving that far everyday you simply won't be happy with the life of any MT. The ride of the trails isn't bad, wet weather on road wet conditions are ok but not near as secure as the Terra's. you've seen my Terra's and honestly I love em. I too wish I had gone with the more aggresive look, but overall the Terra's won my vote because of the treadwear and handling. I too will hardly ever take my truck offroad. So the sensible side of my brain won. Good luck.

Reactions: Blakcice1106

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Amen on that. I walk by my "nitto" section at work everyday and I always keep looking at the trails. They do look much more badder-asser. I only drive about 18 miles round trip on my commute. I'm gonna run the trails next set just cause I like the looks. Too bad I couldn't sell you mine cause I'd already have those jokers on. Oh well. Happy enough with my Terra's. they do ride really well for a 35" tire.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I guess I am frivolous but personally, I take a lot of pride in my truck and the looks are important to me. Sure, I have to factor in tire wear and what not since most of my miles are on-road miles, however, the difference in the appearance of my truck with the Trails vs. the Terra's is night and day, and in my mind it is worth the price of admission. I do not have the sort of commute that you have so we are coming at this from two different directions, however, I doubt that I would see more than 8 months more life on the Terra's vs. the Trails and to me I was willing to sacrifice that to get the tire and look that I wanted.

The Terra's will handle better in wet conditions for sure but that is not to say you will be sliding all over the road every time it rains because you won't. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how capable the Trails are in the snow as well. Where I live I don't deal with snow often but I have no doubt they will do just fine. As for rain, we get tons of it during monsoon season but I drive pretty sensibly in the rain and I am sure the Trails will do just fine there as well.

For your situation the Terra's probably make more sense, however, if you like the more aggressive look and don't mind getting a little less miles out of a set of tires then get the Trails, it is always cheaper to get what you REALLY want the first time. Also, FWIW, I just paid $1140 for my set of Trails and your local discount tire will match that deal (plus mounting/balancing).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I am frivolous but personally, I take a lot of pride in my truck and the looks are important to me. Sure, I have to factor in tire wear and what not since most of my miles are on-road miles, however, the difference in the appearance of my truck with the Trails vs. the Terra's is night and day, and in my mind it is worth the price of admission. I do not have the sort of commute that you have so we are coming at this from two different directions, however, I doubt that I would see more than 8 months more life on the Terra's vs. the Trails and to me I was willing to sacrifice that to get the tire and look that I wanted.

The Terra's will handle better in wet conditions for sure but that is not to say you will be sliding all over the road every time it rains because you won't. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how capable the Trails are in the snow as well. Where I live I don't deal with snow often but I have no doubt they will do just fine. As for rain, we get tons of it during monsoon season but I drive pretty sensibly in the rain and I am sure the Trails will do just fine there as well.

For your situation the Terra's probably make more sense, however, if you like the more aggressive look and don't mind getting a little less miles out of a set of tires then get the Trails, it is always cheaper to get what you REALLY want the first time. Also, FWIW, I just paid $1140 for my set of Trails and your local discount tire will match that deal (plus mounting/balancing).
I think you just made my decision for me...Trails it is!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Terra's are the sensible choice...ugh. Again Im not worried about the hum. My stereo probably will drown that out anyway. Is the difference a 10k or 20k mile difference between the two? I could deal with a 10K mile difference in tread life.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I think the "noise" of the Trail Grapplers is overblown, unless I have the sunroof open and back window down (which I often do, at least until it REALLY starts getting hot) I can barely hear any hum over the stereo, which I certainly do not blast. Really though, even when I hear the hum, it is not annoying at all...I remember when I was younger I would hear a truck with like Super Swampers or something and you could hear that truck coming like a 1/2 mile away, the Trail Grapplers are nothing like that.

Like I said before, the Terra's are the sensible choice but F-it, 95% of the sh!t most of us do to our trucks is absolutely NOT sensible, but, it's what we LIKE! I will probably lose 1/2 mile per gallon but you know what, I don't care because my truck looks SO MUCH BETTER with the Trails :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts