Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· "The Midnight Modder"
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck started to make flapping sound. Popped the hood and looks like serpentine is wiggling.

Do you think I have time to order? Read one post where dealer was charging $175 for the belt, but see it online on Amazon for $40.

Anyone got cheaper link and do you think I can change it myself in a covered condo parking stall? I just don't want it to break while wife drives it. Just started making flapping sound yesterday. It seems to be moving quite a bit then settles in after warm up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
I wouldn't drive it unless you have to. Local parts stores should carry the belt, but not sure if that's the case on an island. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time, order 2 belts and keep a spare in the truck.

Yes, you can do the change in the parking stall. You need a breaker bar, socket set, and 5mm allen wrench (or something similar) to hold the tensioner. Probably take around 30 minutes.

· "The Midnight Modder"
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. Gonna check Napa or OReilly's to see if they have it. Hope stealership can change. Got none of that stuff. Thinking of buying belt at aforementioned places and taking it to a Midas down the street. Thinking toyota will not want to install non oem parts. Want to go there because they are a block away. Need oul change anyway. They already qouted me $70 for oil change and $170 for the typical 5000 mile service (oil change/tire rotation/fluids/gas treatment/and brake check).

· "The Midnight Modder"
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't drive it unless you have to. Local parts stores should carry the belt, but not sure if that's the case on an island. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time, order 2 belts and keep a spare in the truck.

Yes, you can do the change in the parking stall. You need a breaker bar, socket set, and 5mm allen wrench (or something similar) to hold the tensioner. Probably take around 30 minutes.
Firgive my stupidity but what is breaker bar. I have heard term used before. Worth getting? Want to change shocks in near future and heard othets needing that for shock removal.

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Firgive my stupidity but what is breaker bar. I have heard term used before. Worth getting? Want to change shocks in near future and heard othets needing that for shock removal.

Essentially just a longer bar with an attachment on it for sockets OR literally a bar that you slide over your ratchet for more leverage...the term is pretty interchangeable between the two.

· F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
^what he said. It's a socket wrench that does not ratchet. For stubborn sockets that are really tight, you do not want to use a ratchet or it might break. So you use the breaker bar that has a much longer handle and can handle more torque on the bolt/nut.

They aren't too expensive and can save you a couple socket wrenches. Definitely worth getting. I use it taking the blades off the deck of my riding lawn mower, breaking loose the lug nuts on the truck (with deep sockets), all kinds of stuff.

· "The Midnight Modder"
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$639 OTD. serpentine belt change, oil change and rear brake job.

$20 tip for round of beers. They started at 4P and stayed hour late til 6P to get me out the door same day.

Forgot to give me my wheel lock but its all good. Passing by there today. Cashier was from my eyeland so it was good giving her company the business.

I know its alot of money but waking up without cramps and sore joints is priceless. Much respect to those of you that do this on your own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.