Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I know this subject has been beat to death a lot, but in all my reading, the install said to splice the Toyota harness to add a beefier ground, etc..

Well... I ordered mine from Etrailer WITH the harness, and it was 100% plug and play, with its own pretty beefy ground! Took all of 2 minutes to hook up! :D

I've seen the installed where some guys have installed it in the limited or nicer packages in front of the floor shifter in between the cig plugs.

I have a basic model with column shifter. My coin pocket is ABOVE the 2 cig plugs. I was surprised how deep it was, test fit the P3 inside and it was like its made to be in there!

Sorry camera is broke, but i removed coin pocket from panel, dremel back side to fit plug, drilled 2 holes in top to mount bracket, and 2 holes on sides to fit in screw and screwdriver through.

Worked like a champ, looks super super clean, and cant tell anything was cut or drilled!

Stoked!

Now i get to install the airbags tomorrow and get ready to tow my hauler! ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Looks good, good job;)

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
I just got one last week as well and I love mine too. I mounted mine under the dash by my right leg, but I'll probably end up moving it eventually to the pocket location under the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just got one last week as well and I love mine too. I mounted mine under the dash by my right leg, but I'll probably end up moving it eventually to the pocket location under the HVAC controls.
That's where I mounted mine, a bit of a PITA, plus I had to sort of fabricate my own harness but I really like how it fits/looks and how easy it is to reach.
I too wanted to get a P3 pretty badly but I had the Primus iQ from my last truck so I couldnt justify it. Besides after spending $35K on a brand new truck plus weather techs, step bars and fender flares, I figured for my application I wouldn't get that much in return from the P3... though I still want one ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's where I mounted mine, a bit of a PITA, plus I had to sort of fabricate my own harness but I really like how it fits/looks and how easy it is to reach.
I too wanted to get a P3 pretty badly but I had the Primus iQ from my last truck so I couldnt justify it. Besides after spending $35K on a brand new truck plus weather techs, step bars and fender flares, I figured for my application I wouldn't get that much in return from the P3... though I still want one ;)
Yep, it's those floormats that really push you over the line huh ;)

I've got a P3 in the same spot but I also modified the pocket so that I could still use the faceplate.

Reactions: 65aircooled

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tekonsha Primus IQ install

I also wanted to install the P3, but would have had a tough time fitting it into the dash. So I went with the Tekonsha Primus IQ. Mainly because according to the dimensions at E-Trailer it was the smallest proportional controller with boost. I still needed to remove the pocket and then file the frame, but not by much. The coin pocket under my Tow/Haul switch looks smaller than other configurations. I opted to not buy the harness and to use the one Toyota left in my glove box. There was a 1/4" drilled hole on the frame of the steering column that I attached the heavier ground wire to. Maybe just me, but with the controller mounted in a horizontal position the manual control side button on the Primus IQ seemed like it would be easier to reach in a hurry than on models with the manual brake mounted underneath. It was an easy, clean install thanks to all the info on this site and others.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Looks good! I have to say, that mounting it higher up like that has come in handy a couple times I have needed to actuate the trailer brakes manually, much easier to reach and not have to take eyes off the road/mirrors, and see the display

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks good! I have to say, that mounting it higher up like that has come in handy a couple times I have needed to actuate the trailer brakes manually, much easier to reach and not have to take eyes off the road/mirrors, and see the display
A long story really short, I was in a vehicle a few years back that jack knifed at highway speeds when the trailer fish tailed so violently it caused the driver to lose control. In that circumstance the trailer brakes were not working. Fortunately we all walked away.
Before I did the install, I sat in my cab and reached around to all the areas that I could potentially locate the brake controller. It became clear that ergonomically the best place was under the Tow/Haul switch. I know there are other considerations, but for me that was the most important. I don't want to highjack this thread and start a debate on the best location, but wanted to agree with Ditchhooker that where ever the controller is installed, it is a good idea to make sure the manual override can be quickly and easily reached without having to shift body position and take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks Great!
Thanks, Your install also turned out nice. I wish Toyota would have stayed with the larger cubby hole so I also could have installed the P3. It would have been convenient to have the stored parameters for different trailers and loads.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
P3 will fit in the cubby between the cig lighter and power points if you have the console shift, currently where mine is mounted ( I have the prodigy 1, but have had a P3 in there that I borrowed)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe this will work
San Diego Tundra - what was involved in getting your controller in that cubby hole? How much of dash (and how) did you have to take apart to mount your controller there? I was going to mount mine this weekend, but figured I better do a search first. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Prodigy P3 is not Plug and Play 4 me

I need some help/ideas. Installed a Prodigy P3 today and it will not respond with even a light on the screen. Purchased from Etrailer.com with the custom harness for a 2013 with tow package. I grounded into the bracket suggested in their video but nothing from the P3. I have moved the ground and still nothing with continuity to ground. Etrailer will call tomorrow to help but if you have ideas!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
check the fuse box under the hood, the controller fuse may not be installed,(or in my case blown from an old one being cut out)

Reactions: Berkdawg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any thoughts for similar problem. 2007 RCSB, 6cyl, auto, no tow package. Instaling P3 with Tundra specific harness.

done Mounted P3 where ashtray was located
done Plugged harness into P3,
done Plugged other end of harness into capped plug next to e-brake
done Installed 30a fuse into Tow Brk location, which is next to the Stop fiuse

Turn on ignition and the P3 does not turn on. Re-checked everything, still no power. Removed harness and checked for power in capped connector that was already there, still no power. That eliminates the harness. Without using any harness, used a couple of short wires directly connected to the battery to verify the P3 turned on, and it does. :)

Pulled the fuse I installed in the Tow Brk location and tried to look in it with a magnifying glass and flashlight, but don't see any wires connected to it. It is possible I just cannot see them.

Where the harness plugs into the original capped plug there are 5 wires connected to it, the same number as my P3 harness.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody know which harness is needed for the 2018 with towpackage for Tekonsha P3. 3017-P was wrong from what I read places. Tekonsha recommended 3031-P but I e read other places that is the same plug adapter with a ground wire. Anybody have an answer to this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Anybody know which harness is needed for the 2018 with towpackage for Tekonsha P3. 3017-P was wrong from what I read places. Tekonsha recommended 3031-P but I e read other places that is the same plug adapter with a ground wire. Anybody have an answer to this?
The folks at Etrailer.com told me today that 3031-P is the correct one for my 2017 with IBC. not sure thats helpful but confirms what tekonsha recommended.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts