Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

I am new to this forum...just purchased a 2011 tundra...and i would appreciate some guidance on techstream.

I need to know where to purchase the software and cable...seems there are a whole lot of sellers out there. I do notice differences in versions. What i would like is a trusted link where i can pickup what i will need.

I am hoping to be able to Activate the alarm in my truck, as well as gain the ability to make other changes which i am reading are possible. Seat belt buzzer, key programming, etc.

Thanks in advance. And please excuse me if have have posted this request in the wrong section or format..

Michael

·
Registered
167 Posts
11 Tundra here. Had Techstream years ago when my truck was new.
Loaded it on an old laptop and bought the Mini-VCI connector and was good to go.
The old laptop is dead and recently tried to grab a cheap copy of the web.
The copy I received made my anti virus go crazy and when I finally got it loaded
it failed to connect properly.
It's a free download if you search hard enough but I couldn't get my newer laptop to play nice
with the software. There's an entire thread on this site somewhere if you search.
Good luck with your 11. Mines been good to me.
Merry Christmas.
God Bless America

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
11 Tundra here. Had Techstream years ago when my truck was new.
Loaded it on an old laptop and bought the Mini-VCI connector and was good to go.
The old laptop is dead and recently tried to grab a cheap copy of the web.
The copy I received made my anti virus go crazy and when I finally got it loaded
it failed to connect properly.
It's a free download if you search hard enough but I couldn't get my newer laptop to play nice
with the software. There's an entire thread on this site somewhere if you search.
Good luck with your 11. Mines been good to me.
Merry Christmas.
God Bless America
Thanks man..
I ended up buying a copy on disk last night..with the mini vci connector. Seemed like a good enough deal at $39.
It's a little while away though since it's shipping just before xmas...but i am looking forward to messing around with It.

As a foot note...i pulled into a local toyota service center the other day to ask them about enabling my alarm with techstream...the guy said he has been with them for 15 years and never heard of that capability. Then i asked him if i could get techstream myself and he said he doubted it was possible. Interestingly he then tried to sell me on the idea of buying an alarm from them..

Anyway...i am looking forward to saving money with this software as well...

Take care and thanks for the response..

😎👍

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks man..
I ended up buying a copy on disk last night..with the mini vci connector. Seemed like a good enough deal at $39.
It's a little while away though since it's shipping just before xmas...but i am looking forward to messing around with It.

As a foot note...i pulled into a local toyota service center the other day to ask them about enabling my alarm with techstream...the guy said he has been with them for 15 years and never heard of that capability. Then i asked him if i could get techstream myself and he said he doubted it was possible. Interestingly he then tried to sell me on the idea of buying an alarm from them..

Anyway...i am looking forward to saving money with this software as well...

Take care and thanks for the response..

😎👍
I was able to find a Techstream download some years ago, installed it and was able to get it working on my SR5 CrewMax.
And just like Michael, the laptop it was installed on died and no more Techstream. But before it died I was able to enable the
factory alarm using it. If you can locate Techstream and get it working, you CAN enable the built-in alarm IF IT'S INCLUDED
IN YOUR MODEL. I believe only the SR5 model comes with the factory alarm option, and it CAN be turned on. I did it and now
I have a working alarm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went through this a few years back.
My primary motivation was my 2008 Tundra only came with a single valet key. No remote/fob.
I also wanted techstream to help me [properly] change the ATF.

I am somewhat familiar with these types of "you can do E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G" type tools.
The internet is mostly flooded with utterly useless 'ELM327' or other OBD2 stuff when trying to search for things like this. That stuff can only read basic engine parameter data and reset CELs.

But if you get the 'brand-specific' tool, you can do crazy (at least, for the older era) stuff. Like actually changing some of the programming of the vehicle.
  • When pressing the lock button on the keyfob, do you want 2 chirps, or 3?
  • When exceeding xMPH, do you want all the doors to automatically lock?
  • Do you want to disable/enable DRL?
  • As referenced here, disabling/enabling vehicle alarms and/or reprogramming them
  • It is possible some of these tools can actually modify the firmware (engine fuel map tuning) in some instances, but not familiar with that personally

There's tons more stuff too. Like I said, this is pretty commonplace now, but really a shocker when talking about your 2001 VW project car lol
Like 'wow, you could do all this back then??'

Anyways, it took me a while to figure out the deal with the Toyota techstream tool. Forum posts are vague, and the webpages with the dongles for sale are typically broken English.
Even worse, most of the software is for Windows XP, so that presented additional problems with compatibility.
I basically had to figure out on my own (through hours of trial and error) which firmware drivers to download and what settings to make it work.

I did get it to work, but I found out my dongle was like Version1.0, and I needed Version2.0 (or something) to use most of the features.
So I could do stuff like turn my vehicle alarm on/off, but I couldn't do big boy stuff like reprogram keys.

At the time, I did find the other, more expensive, dongle for sale, but didn't pull the trigger. Fast forward a few years, and I can no longer find any evidence to support my conclusion from before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went through this a few years back.
My primary motivation was my 2008 Tundra only came with a single valet key. No remote/fob.
I also wanted techstream to help me [properly] change the ATF.

I am somewhat familiar with these types of "you can do E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G" type tools.
The internet is mostly flooded with utterly useless 'ELM327' or other OBD2 stuff when trying to search for things like this. That stuff can only read basic engine parameter data and reset CELs.

But if you get the 'brand-specific' tool, you can do crazy (at least, for the older era) stuff. Like actually changing some of the programming of the vehicle.
  • When pressing the lock button on the keyfob, do you want 2 chirps, or 3?
  • When exceeding xMPH, do you want all the doors to automatically lock?
  • Do you want to disable/enable DRL?
  • As referenced here, disabling/enabling vehicle alarms and/or reprogramming them
  • It is possible some of these tools can actually modify the firmware (engine fuel map tuning) in some instances, but not familiar with that personally

There's tons more stuff too. Like I said, this is pretty commonplace now, but really a shocker when talking about your 2001 VW project car lol
Like 'wow, you could do all this back then??'

Anyways, it took me a while to figure out the deal with the Toyota techstream tool. Forum posts are vague, and the webpages with the dongles for sale are typically broken English.
Even worse, most of the software is for Windows XP, so that presented additional problems with compatibility.
I basically had to figure out on my own (through hours of trial and error) which firmware drivers to download and what settings to make it work.

I did get it to work, but I found out my dongle was like Version1.0, and I needed Version2.0 (or something) to use most of the features.
So I could do stuff like turn my vehicle alarm on/off, but I couldn't do big boy stuff like reprogram keys.

At the time, I did find the other, more expensive, dongle for sale, but didn't pull the trigger. Fast forward a few years, and I can no longer find any evidence to support my conclusion from before.
Thanks Shaun,
I am about to start on the same journey...hopefully with some success.
I will update this thread as i go along...for the next person..
Take care.
Michael

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Shaun,
I am about to start on the same journey...hopefully with some success.
I will update this thread as i go along...for the next person..
Take care.
Michael
Definitely keep me updated, please.
The internet is surprisingly dry on this topic. Especially when asking technical questions about techstream such as using it to make new keys or something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely keep me updated, please.
The internet is surprisingly dry on this topic. Especially when asking technical questions about techstream such as using it to make new keys or something else.
Will do..
Still waiting on shipping from China now.
I'm Hopefull..
👍

I will check it out while i wait on my order.
Thank you, i appreciate the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update...

So i received the software...was able to get It loaded up on my old laptop...and then i struggled with loading the driver for the cable...it was very time consuming and hardly a straight forward install. I will go ahead and state that i was not at all convinced that the driver loaded properly..there was never any indication it had...and it actually seemed that it had not loaded properly. The driver, for me, is the hardest part of the process...

Although it never seemed to install correctly...with numerous attempts from all different angles in windows 7...manually installing it in bin folder, registry edits, manual pastes into the driver file, etc..etc... the thing finally worked...it finally connected to the vehicle...

I have no Idea how that happened...

Anyway...for the next person installing it...in my experience ...there in lies the biggest hurdle..

Ok..so having connected...i was able to do a health checkup. ..which i am not yet familiar enough with the program to make a lot of sence of it all...

To shorten the story here...i was able to get into the security settings and turn on the alarm module. It worked. Alarm is now functioning. I should note that in my research i read that an indication of the presence of an alarm module/system in a vehicle is a glass break sensor in the dash, or a wire being present on the hood release latch ...tell tale signs of an alarm system. I looked for these things and found none. However...there is an alarm module and it does now function.

I did not attempt any additional changes inside the software...though i wish to make some basic changes like the annoying seat belt buzzer. I need to study up on all of that.

As my luck would have it...the display on my old laptop gave out shortly after i was able to activate my alarm. So...for now i am pending repair on that. But...techsteam is working on the laptop once i get it fixed up. I will be getting back into the software and learning about the capabilities soon.

Well...thats my update on techstream for now.

It would be great if i could somehow change the tuning to give this truck better MPG...what a gas hog...

Take care guys and thank you all again for your input on this thread.

Michael

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update...

So i received the software...was able to get It loaded up on my old laptop...and then i struggled with loading the driver for the cable...it was very time consuming and hardly a straight forward install. I will go ahead and state that i was not at all convinced that the driver loaded properly..there was never any indication it had...and it actually seemed that it had not loaded properly. The driver, for me, is the hardest part of the process...

Although it never seemed to install correctly...with numerous attempts from all different angles in windows 7...manually installing it in bin folder, registry edits, manual pastes into the driver file, etc..etc... the thing finally worked...it finally connected to the vehicle...

I have no Idea how that happened...

Anyway...for the next person installing it...in my experience ...there in lies the biggest hurdle..

Ok..so having connected...i was able to do a health checkup. ..which i am not yet familiar enough with the program to make a lot of sence of it all...

To shorten the story here...i was able to get into the security settings and turn on the alarm module. It worked. Alarm is now functioning. I should note that in my research i read that an indication of the presence of an alarm module/system in a vehicle is a glass break sensor in the dash, or a wire being present on the hood release latch ...tell tale signs of an alarm system. I looked for these things and found none. However...there is an alarm module and it does now function.

I did not attempt any additional changes inside the software...though i wish to make some basic changes like the annoying seat belt buzzer. I need to study up on all of that.

As my luck would have it...the display on my old laptop gave out shortly after i was able to activate my alarm. So...for now i am pending repair on that. But...techsteam is working on the laptop once i get it fixed up. I will be getting back into the software and learning about the capabilities soon.

Well...thats my update on techstream for now.

It would be great if i could somehow change the tuning to give this truck better MPG...what a gas hog...

Take care guys and thank you all again for your input on this thread.

Michael
Hi Michael, glad you finally got it working! I too have struggled in the past getting everything working! Originally bought the cable in 2012 for my 2008 Tundra, had a hard time with the install and activation. Instructions and software that came with the cable were Chinese and not very helpful! After much online research I eventually got it working great! I assume you went with the software and directions that came with your cable which is probably not optimal! If you still have questions or need help, let me know as I am now a self-taught expert ; )

For a straightforward install I recommend ver. 14.xx.xxx which I can link you to and is good til MY2018. there are some details that need to be adhered to, but not too bad...

What TS ver. did you install? Drivers should be installed first, before TS, Device Manager will confirm install
Did you install on Win 7 because of online advice? TS works perfectly w/ Win 10, 32 or 64bit
Health Check checks communication w/ all of your trucks ECUs and will show all DTCS
As for the Alarm, all trucks w/ keyless entry have the basic setup. GBS (impact sensor) and hood switch provide added functionality, but you already have the basics. Dealerships can be lame....
Seat belt warning is at System Select, Customize, Warning

If you have a newer device or any specific questions, let me know, I would be glad to help save you some time and grief!

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts