Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my new 13' SR5 Crewmax-Magnetic Grey yesterday. Prior to leaving the dealership I asked my salesman and the Service Mgr. if they could activate my factory-installed alarm. My salesman had no clue, and the Service Mgr was skeptical. I handed them the instructions and after the first try they tried to charge me for the Glass Break Sensor package. I said no, please run through the Techstream Program instructions and "activate on" the alarm. 10 minutes later the Service Mgr. hands me my keys and says "you have taught an old dog a new trick, son" talk about redemption! I live in Charleston, SC and my dealership had NO clue about the un-activated alarm. So print out your instructions and be ready for a fight!
I'll post pix when I can- Thanks again for all the knowledge that this forum generates, it makes going to a dealership easier!

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
That's sad when a service MANAGER doesn't know these simple things. You would think that to become a service manager, you would have had to at least used Techstream before. I mean you can't tell me that this is the very first alarm this dealership has ever activated.

:banghead:

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

· "A Man Needs A Maid"
1,276 Posts
At least the dealer admitted it. Mine charged me 1/2 hr labor, and had to come find me 15 minutes in to get the instructions I had printed out. No admission, just stated "since I had it printed out already..."

· Registered
875 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. My dealership appointment to change the techstream options went very well.

I hope Toyota continues to allow users to configure their vehicles. Only wish they would let you remove/disable the black box.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Reactions: jimr78

· Registered
243 Posts
when I bought my truck I told them them same thing , again the deer in the headlights look. My sales guy got a free lunch out of the deal as the service guys didnt believe him. I just told him where to find it in the settings.

I am very surprised so many dealerships dont know , or maybe they are playing dumb to make us feel like champs

· Registered
926 Posts
Reactions: danoh

· Registered
4,318 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but in the dealerships defense they have many cars, brands and personalities to deal with on a daily basis.
Something like this, I do think it should be activated from the factory. Why wouldn't someone do that?
A long time ago I worked in a Toyota dealership maintenance division and we hardly ever had Toyotas come in. Mostly, American vehicles crowded the racks. The Toyota techs at the dealership we very good all around mechanics due to that situation.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but in the dealerships defense they have many cars, brands and personalities to deal with on a daily basis.
Something like this, I do think it should be activated from the factory. Why wouldn't someone do that?
A long time ago I worked in a Toyota dealership maintenance division and we hardly ever had Toyotas come in. Mostly, American vehicles crowded the racks. The Toyota techs at the dealership we very good all around mechanics due to that situation.
It's a Toyota dealership... their main focus should be... Toyotas. They should know Toyotas, just like if I bring the wife's Nissan to a Nissan dealership I would expect them to know about Nissans. A wrench jockey working at a dealership can be excused from not knowing these things, but a manager? no.

It's not enabled from the factory so that the dealerships can "sell" you the "feature" of an alarm. Lots of suckers pay upwards of $1000 for this "feature" when they don't know it's only a few clicks of the mouse on a computer to turn it on.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts

· Registered
4,318 Posts
You obviously don't know management structure, so here is a short lesson.

Mechanic-100% technical 0% political
Lead tech-70% technical 30% political
Service advisor 35-50% technical 50-65% political
Manager- 10% tech 90% political.

Well, it says you dump trash for a living....:confused:

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
You obviously don't know management structure, so here is a short lesson.

Mechanic-100% technical 0% political
Lead tech-70% technical 30% political
Service advisor 35-50% technical 50-65% political
Manager- 10% tech 90% political.
Sad but true.

Well, it says you dump trash for a living....:confused:
It does? How the crap did that get there? :eek:

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.