Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Limited with 228,000. Tailgate latch became stiff, then broke! Unfortunately I have a full cover tonneau that latches from inside. Yikes! Extang tonneau was big bucks, DO NOT want to destroy. Suggestions?

Patrick H

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is there any part of the broken handle that you could grab with vice-gtips needle nose or channel locks? If so you would need two people and tools pulling up on the remaining parts to get it to release. Once inside there is a removable panel that requires Torq head bits T-25 I think to remove the panel. Then take a picture prior to taking the latch assembly apart and replace with a new handle.
The last option might be to carefully grind away the plastic handle with a Dremmel type tool until you can open up a large enough hole so you can reach in and operate the releases. Then install a new handle with all the same internal components. Keep the same lock mechanism from your old handle so you do not need a seperate key to lock and un- lock the tailgate. I know what I describe is easier said than done. But I think grinding the plastic away is going to be your best bet.

Reactions: rick3242

·
Registered
14,260 Posts
It's probably the clips that pull on the rods inside the tailgate behind the latch/handle. Downside is there is no easy way to get it open with a tonneau. Personally I would sacrifice/cut the latch/handle since it's cheap in comparison to damaging the paint or the tonneau.

Reactions: Danny3737
1 - 5 of 5 Posts