Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loading my motorcycle in the back of my truck and taking it to NC in June. My problem is my bike will not fit without leaving the front tires on the tailgate. I will not be able to shut my tailgate.

I have a Can-Am Spyder=== it has two front wheels and I have to back it on the truck in case you were wondering what is this guy talking about.

Here comes the question........ Are state laws different regarding this ????? Is it legal ????? I'm going through NY, PA, MD, WV, VA, TN and on into Maggie Valley NC. Should I contact each state ???? I think the plate will still be visable from a few feet back. Will I get harrassed by the 5-0 or will they let it slide ????

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
138 Posts
To be certain you would need a LEO from each state to chime in. I don't see a traffic violation with the tailgate down though, certainly not here. Where your issue is in my opinion, is the amount of weight you are leaving on it for an extended period. You'll have to strap it tighter than tight too to prevent the tailgate from bouncing too. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You'll be fine in NY- I've never had an issue. Besides, chances are you'll see someone driving back from Home Depot with 2x4's sticking out the back window of their Camry... Stick close to them and you won't have an issue for sure!

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I remember correctly, in NY they have laws now where you can't have anything sticking out past the bumper. That means you can't even leave your towing reciever ball on without a trailer attached to it. :(
Federal motor carrier law states any load extending beyond 4 ft must be properly flagged for visibility. If New York has a law prohibiting what you say, it's restricting citizens beyond federal law.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Federal motor carrier law states any load extending beyond 4 ft must be properly flagged for visibility. If New York has a law prohibiting what you say, it's restricting citizens beyond federal law.

I heard about it last year, but when I google it I can't find no present info on it. It's posible it's a myth, thats why I'm reaching out to others for info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be certain you would need a LEO from each state to chime in. I don't see a traffic violation with the tailgate down though, certainly not here. Where your issue is in my opinion, is the amount of weight you are leaving on it for an extended period. You'll have to strap it tighter than tight too to prevent the tailgate from bouncing too. Just my $.02.

Thanks for your concern, I will be strapping it down tighter than tight. I care about this motorcycle just as much as my truck. :cool:

·
Registered
808 Posts
PA: I'm not a LEO and double check this but if it sticks out 3' past the bumper you need a red flag at the end of the tailgate or cargo.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I don't get ticketed on the parkways like that in NY, you won't get ticketed on the highways. Something else to note: if you have truck or combo plates, stay off the parkways- you will get nabbed- though, maybe a better chance not as they can't see your plate as well ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
You're ok in Virginia and North Carolina and west Virginia

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
+1

Made the drive from WV to Charlotte NC a bunch with my bike (K7 GSXR-1000) and tailgate down no trouble. Also it didnt bounce at all

Only time i had trouble i got popped for speeding and at that time the bike was still registered in WV and the truck was registered in NC. He ran both plates to make sure it wasnt stolen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first thought was that since our tailgates weren't the strongest you may want to turn that bike around and have the two tires in the front of the bed. Keep the weight as far forward as possible.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Your motorcycle? You mean your geezermobile! Lol no I'm just kidding. Those are actually pretty cool. I just don't like how they handle. Or the lack of a brake lever on the handlebar.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My first thought was that since our tailgates weren't the strongest you may want to turn that bike around and have the two tires in the front of the bed. Keep the weight as far forward as possible.
Too wide, won't fit past wheel humps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts