Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time where I cant handle it anymore. Looking at a few options with hopes of only doing it once, but the key is I really want to retain the factory head unit. Price wise, its mid 500s for the add a sub, but considering the average quality of the mids and highs, I was also looking at the complete package that's about $2200 and doing it all. I like the plug and play capability with all the kits the Taco Tunes includes, and the equipment looks nice, but for about the same price, I can also just get a 5 channel amp and run a nice setup with the Q Bomb box, shallow subs, and my choice of mids and highs, or delete the rear speakers, run a very nice setup up front, and the Q-bomb rear setup.

Thoughts from those that have preferably heard the Taco Tunes stuff? I was just a bit nervous about the no name amps (im sure they are made by a decent company, however im just used to someones name on my stuff).

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Why keep the head unit?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why keep the head unit?
Ive run the newest Pioneer, Sony and Alpine and really hated them all. Function and sound quality wise they were great, especially with the apple compatibility, but each had quirks that drove me nuts. I really just like the factory setup where everything works, no errors, blue tooth doesn't randomly drop out, no modules or configuring etc. I understand im giving up a lot and have been doing car audio since 1995 before switching careers out of the mechanical side of things, but at this point in my life, I enjoy the simplicity of a factory head unit, a big volume knob, and zero issues with anything. If it causes a problem with the audio quality in making the system better, then the answer is easy and I just add a sub, and that's as good as it gets.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Don't forget about the bass roll off with the Entune..
I spent 18 months and a lot of money trying to make my Entune sound good in my 2014.
Tried 2 sound processors, Focals in 4 doors, an Alpine PDX V9, and a JL Audio Stealthbox, with very little luck.

Ended up with a Kenwood DDX9903S, and the above components and it works great.
An aftermarket will give you more options than the Entune.

They only thing I don't like about my Kenwood, is that I have to touch the screen EVERY time I start the truck to cancel out a nanny warning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in your boat this summer. I went with Taco Tunes and could’ve happier. I kept my stock head unit which saved money. I replaced the door speakers w/ Polks and put in JL audio subs w/ a sound ordinance amp, all of which I already owned. I needed an amp for the door speakers so I purchased the Taco Tunes amp that goes under the passenger seat and line out converter from Taco Tunes. They explained the entire instal process for me and helped over the phone with all my questions. Top notch service. Sound system is awesome and is so much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.