Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Tundra owner here! but, not new to high performance Audio/Video.

I currently work in the Home A/V industry, and have a deep passion for quality sound systems. BUT, like most people, I have to consider budget. :)

I had a fantastic Alpine Imprint setup in my last truck, but I am thinking about doing things a little differently this time.

Here is the list of things that I am set on.

- Stock head unit. I have the normal setup.. Not JBL.
- JBL MS-8. I think this will satisfy my needs.
- Alpine PDX-5 Amp. (leftover from another project)
- One (1) Pioneer ib-Flat 12" in a sealed box.
- Keeping the speakers in the factory locations. (Dash, Doors) I dont want to buy A-pillars right now, but I am open to consider it.

Here is what I need help with.

- Speakers. I think I want to use Dayton Audio.. Great performance/price. But, what sizes? At first, i thought about tweeters in dash, 6.5" mids in front doors, and 8" midbass in Rear doors.. but, I dont have any experience with this type of setup. (I dont care about the Rear passengers experience.)
- Setup. Would it be alright if i ran all three dash speakers off the MS-8 internal amps, and use the PDX-5 to power the mids in the doors plus the sub?

I will be using RAAM mat to treat all the sheet metal.

Let me know your opinions!
THANKS

·
Registered
383 Posts
I believe the largest speakers the front and rear doors can handle are 6 3/4". I just received 2 pair of Kicker 6 3/4" speakers and 4 sheets of Dynamat for my doors. I'm going to add these to the factory system (non-JBL) in the next week or so.

Reactions: Surfer J

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Definitely look into purchasing the limited tweeter mounts, the tweeters sound way better there, a tweeter in the dash if these trucks is way too bright and harsh and sounds very detached from the mid. I used to have mine there and didn't like it at all so I replace my speakers with a 3way set and put the tweeters in the factory door location and 4" mids in the dash. Sounds great now and those limited tweeter mounts are only about 60.00

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
232 Posts
Definitely look into purchasing the limited tweeter mounts, the tweeters sound way better there, a tweeter in the dash if these trucks is way too bright and harsh and sounds very detached from the mid. I used to have mine there and didn't like it at all so I replace my speakers with a 3way set and put the tweeters in the factory door location and 4" mids in the dash. Sounds great now and those limited tweeter mounts are only about 60.00

Are your 4s coaxials? Seems like the tweeter bouncing off the glass plus your tweeter in the door would be odd

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have had them for a long time. I worked at a focal dealer when I bought them so the price was actually stellar but I have been so happy with them I would be willing to pay much more than I did.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Were they easy to fit in the dash since they had no tweeter?

Hell no! If I was going to do it again I would go with the hertz 3 way set or the focal 165krx3 which is actually the higher end focal simply because both of those sets come with a 3" midrange ant mounting is much much easier. Even with no tweeter the 4" speaker is still large enough that it must be mounted from the bottom underneath the plastic dash, mounting the 4" speakers properly is about an 8 hour project. They do sound amazing up there though it was worth every minute of labor! I highly recommend running a 3 way system with the midrange in the dash it brings the entire soundstage up perfectly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hell no! If I was going to do it again I would go with the hertz 3 way set or the focal 165krx3 which is actually the higher end focal simply because both of those sets come with a 3" midrange ant mounting is much much easier. Even with no tweeter the 4" speaker is still large enough that it must be mounted from the bottom underneath the plastic dash, mounting the 4" speakers properly is about an 8 hour project. They do sound amazing up there though it was worth every minute of labor! I highly recommend running a 3 way system with the midrange in the dash it brings the entire soundstage up perfectly.

I was considering this but there doesn't appear to be many 3-3 1/2 mids to choose from other than the complete focal set which is more than I was wanting to spend

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought the Hertz speakers. they are in perfect condition, and i confirmed that they are not some of the fakes that are selling on eBay.
now, im thinking of using the Dayton RS100 as the center channel.
does anyone have any input about using that speaker in the dash?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought the Hertz speakers. they are in perfect condition, and i confirmed that they are not some of the fakes that are selling on eBay.
now, im thinking of using the Dayton RS100 as the center channel.
does anyone have any input about using that speaker in the dash?
Congrats..im jelly

not to hijack, but just to piggy back, has anyone used the Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" mid range on the dash?

·
Registered
232 Posts
you're not hikacking at all.. in fact that is the exact question i just asked.
Good catch...i dint even look at your model number just because i was talking about the left and right (not center since i dont have one)

bump for knowledge

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats..im jelly

not to hijack, but just to piggy back, has anyone used the Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" mid range on the dash?
I've used the RS-100-4 in both the left & right dash locations....AND in the center dash location. The dash requires some trimming in the left & right, but will fit unmodified in the center.

They sound excellent in the dash!

I am no longer using my pair of RS100-4 and will make a deal to anyone interested. They include the original boxes. PM me if interested.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts