Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you mind sharing your sheet, I'm making one right now actually.
I tend to RTFM and make a cheat sheet that provides me with a service interval schedule for my vehicles and keep a copy in the glove box along with any key specifications for lubricants and filters if applicable. In the long run it saves me time.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Toyota does not recommend replacing the fluid in the front or rear differential at any mileage. Same for my Chevy heavy duty diesel truck where fluid only is changed if repairs are made to the unit. I would expect that a synthetic lubricant is used in the differential from the factory.

Not much happens at the differential to reduce the effectiveness of the fluid. There is no fuel contamination as with the motor oil and no heat as with the transmission. Even with my diesel truck's Allison transmission, if I use TES 295 ATF the change interval is every 150,000 miles or 48 months, whichever occurs sooner. This is with a truck that is tow rated at 17,300 pounds.

If I was replacing the differential fluid after a repair then I would use synthetic as it will not need to be changed again for the life of the truck.

I tend to RTFM and make a cheat sheet that provides me with a service interval schedule for my vehicles and keep a copy in the glove box along with any key specifications for lubricants and filters if applicable. In the long run it saves me time.
Incorrect on the diff fluids .
I changed mine at 55k and the rear needed it . The front and the transfer case ( special fluid ) looked brand new.
The lower the rear gearing , the more that baby spins and the oil changes more freq.
Yes on the synthetic oil , It is commonly available , cheap and the factory fill is synthetic.
The transfer case thanks to Borg , SHOULD take special oil ( i did ) but often , even at the dealership gets the same as the diff's.

·
Registered
713 Posts
^^ I agree with @24hrsparkey

@Calson unfortunately pretty much everything you said in your original post is untrue. There are a great many things going on inside the rear differential and thy fluid ought to be changed regularly. Take a gander at good ol mister banks giving you a peek inside the rear diff. Looks like oil in a blender in the microwave. Lots of aeration, heat, and shear forces as the gear teeth snip away at the oil.

Peek inside the rear diff with Gale Banks

Perhaps you didn’t look closely enough at the owners manual or maybe you buy in to the “lifetime fluid” propaganda, but oils wear out. More to the point - the additive packages in the fluid wears out and needs to be replenished, along with removing trapped moisture and contaminants. If you only own a vehicle for 60k miles, the I guess never changing the fluids other than motor oil is acceptable. But this is by no means the entire useful lifetime of the vehicle (assuming you drive a tundra).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts