Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided I wanted my backup camera to come on either in reverse or when I switch it on. There is a mod for this on Tundra Solutions for the models prior to 2010 so I figured I'd document this for the 2010 owners.

After removing the overhead console, you will need to cut the green wire which is the reverse wire.

I ran two wires from the overhead console, inside the headliner and down the driver side column.

and out through the blank in the dash

I ran a 3rd wire from the +12v cigarette lighter to the same opening in the dash; I just forgot to take a picture.

The purple wire was run to the center position on the switch, the red to one end, and the +12v to the other end of the switch allowing a NORMAL (purple switched to red) and ON (+12v to purple).

I picked up a switch at Radio Shack as none of the automotive places had a SPDT switch and my favorite electronics store was closed.

The purple wire is seen here soldered and heatshrinked to the green wire into the mirror plug and the red to the green wire going into the wire bundle.

I drilled a hole into the center of the blank to mount the switch.

I would have preferred a rocker, but I could only find a SPST rocker. A SPST would have worked to disable the reverse option and provide manual control of the camera/monitor with a simple on/off switch. Although, I wanted the option to continue to using the reverse switching and not having to turn it on manually.

I debated placing a switch in the overhead console and using the ignition +12v (light blue wire) from the wire bundle but opted instead for a switch on the dash.

I may find a better looking switch later, but this will do for now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
well I just found my 1st mod; nice write-up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Very nice wright-up!

Where is your back-up monitor located? In the mirror? Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
Very nice!! Camera is on the list to do. I like that you can turn it on even if it is not in reverse. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i got excited when i found this, and I went and bought everything. took the overhead piece off and i cant find the green wire that you need to cut. any suggestions? how did you find out what wire it was for the camera? I have a 2010 cm with camera and homelink mirror if that helps... thank you

·
Registered
517 Posts
i got excited when i found this, and I went and bought everything. took the overhead piece off and i cant find the green wire that you need to cut. any suggestions? how did you find out what wire it was for the camera? I have a 2010 cm with camera and homelink mirror if that helps... thank you
Take a pic of the connector it should be infront of the sun glass holder. I would like to see if it is different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok, i will get a pic taken in a little bit... have you done this mod also? I see you have a 2010. did you have the green wire? and just so im sure im looking in the right spot, its the plug that you have to unplug when you take the overhead off, right? the green wire should one of the wires going to the plug right?

·
Registered
517 Posts
ok, i will get a pic taken in a little bit... have you done this mod also? I see you have a 2010. did you have the green wire? and just so im sure im looking in the right spot, its the plug that you have to unplug when you take the overhead off, right? the green wire should one of the wires going to the plug right?
No not yet but I did install my back up camra myself. You are looking at the wrong plug when you take off your overhead the one you unplug is for the lights in the overhead. The plug you need is in the front in the middle just tucked under the lineing some. If you have a mirror it will be hooked up to the mirror plug. It is a tight fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok, so i wired everything up and, camera comes on when i put it in reverse. I can use the switch and turn the camera off while in reverse, but i cannot have the camera on when in park or drive.... what am i missing?

·
Registered
517 Posts
ok, so i wired everything up and, camera comes on when i put it in reverse. I can use the switch and turn the camera off while in reverse, but i cannot have the camera on when in park or drive.... what am i missing?
You should have 3 terminals on your switch the middle one is for the green wire that goes to your mirror the other green from the reverse side goes to one side and the other side is power from the lighter or what ever you are using to get 12 volts from. Do you understand that? If not let me know.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the stock homelink mirror and backup camera that came stock on the truck. I hooked it up just like you said and still the same. works in reverse, if the switch is on. if i turn the switch off, the camera goes off. and it wont work at all in park neutral or drive. I switched the wires on the switch every way possible, and nothing. maybe i bought the wrong kind of switch? i got a blue led rocker, 30 amp from shucks. I have never really done much stuff like this, so it is very possible that i got the wrong kind. it has three terminals on it, the package says that the top is power, middle is load, and bottem is ground. and like i said, i tried every wire in every spot. any help would be great. and i hafta say, this site is great, its nice to have the help of your fellow tundra brothers when you need it!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the stock homelink mirror and backup camera that came stock on the truck. I hooked it up just like you said and still the same. works in reverse, if the switch is on. if i turn the switch off, the camera goes off. and it wont work at all in park neutral or drive. I switched the wires on the switch every way possible, and nothing. maybe i bought the wrong kind of switch? i got a blue led rocker, 30 amp from shucks. I have never really done much stuff like this, so it is very possible that i got the wrong kind. it has three terminals on it, the package says that the top is power, middle is load, and bottem is ground. and like i said, i tried every wire in every spot. any help would be great. and i hafta say, this site is great, its nice to have the help of your fellow tundra brothers when you need it!!
It does sound like you have the wrong switch. Go to this thread 2nd page and there is a pic of a switch wiring. The switcg you need is a double throw double pole in other words you need a switch power coming in and you throw the switch one way it will be in reverse only and the other way will be all the time power. Also make sure your camera power is 12v before you go any further.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...-play-backup-camera-system-your-2010-a-2.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok, thanks a lot for the help. I will go and get the right switch, and go at it again tomorrow. At least the hard part is done (running all the wires).

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sig210 is nearly right. The switch you have is a more than likely a single pole single throw (SPST), but what you need is a single pole double throw (SPDT).

·
Registered
31 Posts
well, i went and bought a new switch. it didnt work either. if you have the switch in the center it is off. if you have it up, it is sposta be on, and if you have it all the way down, it is sposta be on. the same thing is happening, camera works in reverse if switch is on, but i can turn it off with the switch. and it wont work at all if not in reverse. I dont know. that is the only switch i could find that i thought would work.. im starting to feel like a total idiot. also, im not sure why, but after going back and looking at the pictures on here showing how to do this mod, mine is a little different. the green wire in the pictures here, look like its coming from a plug. mine is not. it is the only green wire that i found up there. one end looks like it goes down into the mirror and the other end goes to the left, like twards the drivers side of the truck. when i cut the wire, the camera went off, so im sure its the right wire, just dont know whats going on. i think i just dont know what switch to buy. the first one was a 30 amp led rocker. it has three posts on the back. the second switch i got is a 10 amp on-off-on toggle. also has three posts on back. I dont know if the amperage matters or what. please help, i know im sure this is getting old, holding my hand. thanks guys

Reactions: homer
1 - 20 of 173 Posts