Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from having my Supercharger installed by the good people at Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach SC. First off a big shout out and Thank You to all the folks at Sparks, Micah and Jaime in the Parts Dept these guys really know there stuff, Steve and Billy in Service and a big Thank You to Sean the Tech that did the install, a very professional experience all the way around. I am even talking to Michael Holmes about having a really cool company vehicle built by Sparks. Install on a gas unit which I have is a little bit more involved than a flex fuel but even with that it only took a few days for the install and tune. They initially had an issue with the BD tune but got it all worked out. Now for the good stuff, unfortunately for me I didn't get to play a lot before I headed home because of the torrential downpour however what little I did play I was super impressed with the results. On the highway what I really liked was that the power was always there which is great for getting on the highway and passing cars etc.. passing Ford Raptors is especially fun. Not that I would ever break any laws because I am a good citizen but let's say hypothetically driving at 75mph and I wanted to stomp on the gas, first the tires would probably smoke and second it would probably burry the speedometer before you could blink. Which is really cool, all this hypothetically of course ;). With my foot out of it truck drives like normal same gas MPG near as I can tell, maybe even a touch quieter. When I hit the gas inside the cab the engine makes a sound like a jet engine, not used to that yet but it's pretty cool. When playing around it's best to do so with the traction control off because the TC will cut the power if it senses tire spin, you have to drive because it can get away from you real quick. I will report back when I get some more time behind the wheel but so far so good :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Enjoy. My TRD Supercharger brings a smile to my face every time I drive the truck

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
What was the total cost?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn near supercharged my '08 Tundra.... now I'm old and have 3 kids and 3 dogs.... maybe when the kids are gone. Last thing I need is a supercharged truck driven by a 16 year old...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What problems were they having with the BD tune? Also what settings are you running with the BD? I did my install myself and had everything set on stock. Was feeling some hesitation and overall wasn't happy with it. I have it set right now to
Power level - stock
Speed limiter - unlimited
Shift points - performance
Throttle sensitivity - performance
Feels much better but I'm still wondering if there's something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
What problems were they having with the BD tune? Also what settings are you running with the BD? I did my install myself and had everything set on stock. Was feeling some hesitation and overall wasn't happy with it. I have it set right now to
Power level - stock
Speed limiter - unlimited
Shift points - performance
Throttle sensitivity - performance
Feels much better but I'm still wondering if there's something better.

I also wasn't too happy with the magnuson BD tune at first, I was getting severe pinging under medium load around 2000rpm. Settings were performance stock, throttle stock and performance shift.
After a few weeks of running it switched it to performance 93, trail throttle and performance shift. Made a world of difference, better mid range power and much better AFR'S and eliminated the pinging by probably 75%.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I also wasn't too happy with the magnuson BD tune at first, I was getting severe pinging under medium load around 2000rpm. Settings were performance stock, throttle stock and performance shift.
After a few weeks of running it switched it to performance 93, trail throttle and performance shift. Made a world of difference, better mid range power and much better AFR'S and eliminated the pinging by probably 75%.

Are you using 93 octane? I'm limited to 91 here so don't really want to try the 93 tune

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are you using 93 octane? I'm limited to 91 here so don't really want to try the 93 tune

91 as well. Even though it sounds counter intuitive, whatever changes it makes resulted in much less pinging and far safer AFR's.

My next step is adding water/meth injection in attempt to completely eliminate the pinging.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
91 as well. Even though it sounds counter intuitive, whatever changes it makes resulted in much less pinging and far safer AFR's.

My next step is adding water/meth injection in attempt to completely eliminate the pinging.

Brave for sure. Im not noticing any pinging right now but debating on having Toyota reflash my ecu so I don't have to use the BD. Only thing holding me back is the stated lower HP rating. I put this SC for more power lol. I'm hearing the TRD reflash is definitely safer though. I also hate the studder shift from 2nd to 3rd that the bd tune has.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am running
Power- 93 tune
Speed- Unlimited
Throttle-Preformance
Shift-Preformance

I do not have any pinging, I am running 93 octane. The only thing I am not happy with is as you mentioned the shift between 2nd and 3rd. Messing with it getting ready to run sone track times I have been putting the tranny in sports mod and shifting it myself not sure that is the answer either. I may put a shift kit in and go back to stock shifts. I'm going to try to get a hold of Keith at DD today and see what his thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I am running

Power- 93 tune

Speed- Unlimited

Throttle-Preformance

Shift-Preformance

I do not have any pinging, I am running 93 octane. The only thing I am not happy with is as you mentioned the shift between 2nd and 3rd. Messing with it getting ready to run sone track times I have been putting the tranny in sports mod and shifting it myself not sure that is the answer either. I may put a shift kit in and go back to stock shifts. I'm going to try to get a hold of Keith at DD today and see what his thoughts are.

I changed my shifts back to stock and still have the studder from 2nd to 3rd. I'm pretty sure this BD tune is unsafe. Mine runs 11.1/11.5 afr at wot then dumps fuel at around 4500 rpm from picking up knock. Afr drops to about 10.0/10.3 when that happens. If the TRD reflash smooths it out I shouldn't feel any loss in power

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wouldn't call it brave running performance :93, richer afr's,10-10.5 at wot, and less pinging is unquestionably safer than the numbers I was seeing on "stock".

To clarify, my truck runs perfect at WOT, pulls super strong with a consistent air fuel ratio. What I don't like about the magnuson tune is how long it takes to go rich. Like you mentioned you have to be 4000rpm + at near full throttle for it to go rich. Where I'm pinging is at 2000rpm as soon as it starts to build boost and is still lean at ~14:1.

My last truck had the trd tune. Never had an issue with it, supercharged for 120k miles. Unfortunately I never installed a wideband in that truck so I can't compare the air fuel ratios from the trd tune to magnuson BD. But it never pinged, never had the studder shift and was run HARD it's whole life. That truck also had considerably less power than my current magnuson supercharged tundra.

One more note, I tried to get my local dealer to install the trd tune but they will not do so on a truck with a magnuson branded supercharger.

·
Registered
657 Posts
3 years of FFV SC fun under my belt. It is a blast. 550hp makes a mess of Raptors. Its pretty funny. I had a little fun with a C7 Corvette the other day. He was not happy. But I smiled. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.