Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a supercharger for 2013 5.7L Tundra... Eventually. Or tomorrow.

The truck is brand new. How many miles should I put on it before I add a supercharger?

I want to get better sound and flow through the engine before I get to the supercharger. That being said, what all should I do to the truck (performance) prior to adding supercharger?

Headers?
Cat-back? Dual? Brand Recommendations?
Just a muffler?
CAI? Any brand recommendations?
other?

If I add these performance items right away, must a Toyota dealer install them to keep the warranty in tact? Must I order the products from Toyota to get them to install it?

I have poked around the forums a bit but I was hoping to get some answers suited to my situation. Thanks in advance for your responses! I look forward to the feedback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would suggest you first install the supercharger and nothing else. From that point on evaluate the acceleration and gauge if you need more.

If you do then go ahead with the rest of the supporting modifications and also increase the boost since adding headers and full exhaust will decrease back pressure and drop boost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
172 Posts
Err... This feels like that moment when you realize that you got a great deal on the wrong truck.

Yep, the dealer will refuse to install the supercharger on a Flex Fuel 5.7L so you will have to do the installation yourself. And find a way to get more fuel into the engine via standalone or piggyback ECU.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Supercharged Disappointment

I am thinking about having the dealer swap this truck out for a Non-Flex fuel. I haven't contacted them yet to see if they will even be complicit to my request.

On a different note, if I can't do anything about the flex fuel condition, will I have any other issues putting on the headers, CAI, cat back system because of the Flex Fuel?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I am thinking about having the dealer swap this truck out for a Non-Flex fuel. I haven't contacted them yet to see if they will even be complicit to my request.

On a different note, if I can't do anything about the flex fuel condition, will I have any other issues putting on the headers, CAI, cat back system because of the Flex Fuel?
I originally had the 4.6...won't repeat the story as to why, but I traded it for the 5.7 about 3 weeks later. They were very accommodating and I lost a tiny bit but I was cool with that. If you haven't been titled yet the swap should be a piece of cake since they'll be able to resell it as new.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I am not mechanic, but it seems like the CAI would allow to get "more" air flow in, even if its not really any cooler. Am I way off base there?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

talk to dirtydeeds on here, he has a KILLER setup for these trucks, 48whp & 92 ftlbs AT THE WHEEL, and if the bully dog tuner rings true (not so sure yet) you'll be making nearly the same power as a s/c without the cool noises

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the Toyota dealer has been very accommodating. They offered to swap trucks with no cost to me other than price difference. The General Manager also explained the issue I am up against now...

There are no 4x4 Tundras in the gulf coast region that don't have the flex fuel option. So I have to let him know by tomorrow morning whether I want a 4x4 without s/c or a 4x2 with it.

Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
You guys don't get snow down there and are you gonna take your $30k+ truck off roading? If not peace out 4wd lol

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I have to stick with 4 wheel drive. I'll need it from time to time. Kinda sucks but it is still a damn nice truck. It just won't go as fast.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I hate FF so much I would put a search on for the whole country and consider paying the delivery charge. If I didn't at least look into it, it would be stuck in the back of my mind the life of ownership. That's what happened with the 4.6, it kept bugging and bugging me so I finally checked into it. Super(charged) glad I did.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts