Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to form and in need of some help
I have a 2010 tundra with the TRD supercharger i also have the TRD cold air intake and over the last few years ive had issues with the intake. It seams that the filter inside sucksnin when you punch it and if you have any debris around it sucks it in and destroys the mass airflow sensor. I was told i had to use the TRD intake i dont known for what reason. I decided to change the intake to a air aid to eliminate the mass airflow problem but all that happened was it tripped the engine code with the air aid and also disrupted the transmission shift.
My question is there a program or how do i fool the computer to allowing the air aid orvam i stuck with the TRD?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
$76 for a ****ing filter ? Lmfao hahaha

You do NOT need that. I promise. I use stock filters without issue and run high 12s in the 1320.

Not sure if you read the OP but he said his is deforming under boost LoL. Instead of trying to argue with me why don't you reply to him with a solution, that's what I did. ??*♂ This isn't the first time I've heard of this either. The guys that been having this issue switched to the afe filter and that solved it so I installed same time as the SC. I mean I paid over $6k for the charger, what's an extra $75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
As stated above, the TRD airbox designed for the S/C will flow just fine.

And I wasn't talking about that TRD filter. I meant the stock paper filter. I want the air that enters my engine to be clean. Those "high flow" filters don't filter well.

Also, be sure you use the Larger air horn (part that goes through the fender wall ). It's larger than the stock N/A one.

IF that doesn't do it, you can do the Air Box Mod, but it doesn't sound like you have a problem drawing in air volume. Sounds like the filter is dirty or clogged and not letting the volume of air past.... causing the filter to cave in on itself.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Please clarify, the TRD Cold Air Intake will not work with the SC (Magnuson or TRD)? Is this bc it requires a more rigid filter element that won't cave under boost?
air box assembly included in s/c kits have a larger maf diameter to work with the s/c trd tune and airflow needs compared to the regular trd or stock air box.

up to 13' trucks the s/c filter was the same size as stock so trd's s/c kit only included the upper portion of intake and a "high flow filter".the stock lower airbox was reused.
on 14' up trucks,the s/c filter is larger than stock and same size as earlier years,so trd's s/c kit included a complete upper, lower box and " high flow filter"

filter rigidity is not a factor as they are all pretty much similar.
the s/c upper box incorporates a suction gauge to see if filter is clogged also.this indicator always indicates a minor restriction well before the filter gets sucked in,so i'm not sure what is going on with op's filter and he has not come back on here since!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Not sure if you read the OP but he said his is deforming under boost LoL. Instead of trying to argue with me why don't you reply to him with a solution, that's what I did. ??*♂ This isn't the first time I've heard of this either. The guys that been having this issue switched to the afe filter and that solved it so I installed same time as the SC. I mean I paid over $6k for the charger, what's an extra $75

iirc,this is probably the first time i hear of s/c guys having an issue with sucking the filter.even the stock filter is adequate if clean and used in the proper box.
there was someone else here that had an issue but it was due to using a different upper box.

·
Registered
177 Posts
air box assembly included in s/c kits have a larger maf diameter to work with the s/c trd tune and airflow needs compared to the regular trd or stock air box.

up to 13' trucks the s/c filter was the same size as stock so trd's s/c kit only included the upper portion of intake and a "high flow filter".the stock lower airbox was reused.
on 14' up trucks,the s/c filter is larger than stock and same size as earlier years,so trd's s/c kit included a complete upper, lower box and " high flow filter"

filter rigidity is not a factor as they are all pretty much similar.
the s/c upper box incorporates a suction gauge to see if filter is clogged also.this indicator always indicates a minor restriction well before the filter gets sucked in,so i'm not sure what is going on with op's filter and he has not come back on here since!
I have the TRD Cold Air Intake along with the suction gauge on my 13 FFV . Magnuson only stated that it does not work with the BD tune. I told them I am having the truck professionally tuned after SC Install and they said that should be ok then. Since I paid for it I'll most likely leave it installed and see if the ECM throws out any codes. I can always revert to the airbox in the kit if things don't work out with the TRD.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
iirc,this is probably the first time i hear of s/c guys having an issue with sucking the filter.even the stock filter is adequate if clean and used in the proper box.

there was someone else here that had an issue but it was due to using a different upper box.

If you go to the supercharged tundras Facebook page you'll see a bunch of people that had this same problem. Afe filter was recommended by them.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding what is actually happening here. You stated that the filter was collapsing. This would only happen for a couple reasons. Either the filter is a flimsy POS or it's not flowing well enough and a vacuum is being created.

I know there are people with kits that had different air boxes that were creating air flow the MAF didn't like and causing a CEL. This wasn't a filter collapse issue tho....

·
Registered
163 Posts
IMO, you need a high flow filter. There are several (AFE noted above) that will flow high rates of air, as clean as OEM/stock, but will not cave in under draw and cause the problem you have. A properly serviced oil/gauze filter will work, and filter well, but they are problematic in that you have to clean and oil them properly. Most people over or under oil them, and if you goof it up while cleaning, can damage the filter making it worthless. I prefer the AFE style. I believe the TRD PRO stock air filter is an AFE or similar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.