Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading around the forum about messed up shift points on a supercharged Ffv because of the uni chip. I cant find a thread dedicated to it though. Does this happen to every one or are there just a couple guys with bad luck?

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Ive been reading around the forum about messed up shift points on a supercharged Ffv because of the uni chip. I cant find a thread dedicated to it though. Does this happen to every one or are there just a couple guys with bad luck?
The supercharger gives the transmission more power than its expecting with a stock tune or the unichip. The unichip only controls the air/fuel ratio and it sucks at that btw.

A friend of mine had the unichip installed with the supercharger (His wasn't a flex-fuel). His shifts were horrible. It would always hit the rev limiter at WOT. The reason he went with the unichip without the TRD reflash at first was so that he could go back to stock if he wanted to. He then realized there is no going back after feeling the power of a supercharged Tundra, flashed the TRD tune and got rid of the unichip.

If you have a flex-fuel vehicle, please do everybody a favor and don't waste your time and money on a supercharger. Trade it for a non-FFV and you'll thank me for all the headache it will save you along the way :)

· Registered
1,441 Posts
^^^ That is damn good sound advice.. And it's free.

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Thanks BRX. Do you know if the current TRD re-flash would work on a 2013 non-flex fuel or would it need to be a 2012 or prior?
Yes, there is a TRD re-flash out for the 2013 models. I'll upload the installation manual when I'm at my laptop which shows every supported truck at the end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
172 Posts
Don't spend any money on Piggybacks such as the Unichip, AEM, nor any other advertised. You'll hate the way these trucks act to them and the shifting is horrible... even with the valve body. Unless if your planning to go w/ full standalone that can tune a 6 speed such as PRO-EFI then go for it. But that's another $5-7K... I used both unichip(new version) and the AEM F/IC-8 til my motor blew up.

· Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry to change the topic but what are your views on a Tundra equipped with the TRD offroad package vs. one without it? (Ride/Handling/value). One I'm looking at has 18" wheels...my current Tundra has 20". I wont be doing any offroading but the price was ok so checking it out....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.