Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently planning my audio system and will begin work once weather permits. I plan on purchasing 4 Sundown SA-10d4. I have seen many SPL vehicles on video that use these but I'm more focused on sound quality. Although I plan on entering competition so volume will play a part. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these? Are they clean sounding as well as loud? I have 2 Soundstream Rubicon 1000 amps that are just dying for some action. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I haven't used those subs, but many say they are good. That Soundstream seems to be a good for a reasonable price, I've had good luck with that one.

·
Registered
607 Posts
As long as you run them ported with the proper airspace and enough port area... you will be in for one hell of a treat! These things will move some serious air and sound DAMN good doing it! If you have any questions feel free to PM me, and I can help you with a box design if you need. I'm a sundown dealer for the Philadelphia area.

·
Registered
103 Posts
4 10s is gonna be tough to fit and still sound good unless you plan to remove the back seats or somthing. i tried it with 4 audioque sdc2.5 10s since they were a lil cheaper and had about the same box specs. they sounded ok but definitely needed more air space. ever since i changed to 2 sa12s i couldnt be happier even though i kinda want to change them out because i get bored of the same setup easily. was actually looking at a single sundown z v3 12 but then realised i coudlnt fit that beast behind my seat =(
@hollatchaboy how much do you charge for box designs? do you include a cut sheet and all?

·
Registered
607 Posts
4 10s is gonna be tough to fit and still sound good unless you plan to remove the back seats or somthing. i tried it with 4 audioque sdc2.5 10s since they were a lil cheaper and had about the same box specs. they sounded ok but definitely needed more air space. ever since i changed to 2 sa12s i couldnt be happier even though i kinda want to change them out because i get bored of the same setup easily. was actually looking at a single sundown z v3 12 but then realised i coudlnt fit that beast behind my seat =(
@hollatchaboy how much do you charge for box designs? do you include a cut sheet and all?
Depending on the complexity of the design, I'd say $10-40. And, that'll give you a cut list, a layout of the smartest/most efficient way to cut your sheet(s) of MDF, and a 3D rendering with multiple angles. I can even send you the google sketchup file upon request. Price variations would be for boxes with more complicated shapes, crazy port routing (for that low-low tuning) or for something like a 4th order bandpass.

Never really tried to price out the designs since 9/10 I'm the one building the boxes... does that seem fair?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That sounds pretty fair. I already have a design but my number crunching skills suck.... Lol. Simple rectangle boxes are easy especially since I always use aero ports anyway. Wedges just suck for me. Can never get the front sub baffle cut to the correct dimension. It's always about .5" off. This time it was lowes fault though. Guy cut it like .25" short on one side and .5" short on the other. Duno how he managed that lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
That sounds pretty fair. I already have a design but my number crunching skills suck.... Lol. Simple rectangle boxes are easy especially since I always use aero ports anyway. Wedges just suck for me. Can never get the front sub baffle cut to the correct dimension. It's always about .5" off. This time it was lowes fault though. Guy cut it like .25" short on one side and .5" short on the other. Duno how he managed that lol
There's your fault... never rely on Lowe's or Home Depot for anything accurate :p.

I only rely on them for 1 or 2 cuts just to make the wood easier to move around then handle the rest of the cuts at the shop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Haha I figured they wouldn't mess up on the biggest main piece...I guess I was wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to fit 2 SA 10” behind the seats of my 08 crumax and don’t mind moving up the seats some for more room.Do you know what dimensions I would need to fit the 2 SA 10”s?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts