Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting 2 sundown audio sd-10s under the back seats in a DC? Looking at purchasing some subs soon and really liking sundown audio's products. The sd is suppose to be very similar to their sa line just more slim fitting. The sub has a depth of 4.75" and requires .5 cubic feet for a sealed box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
4.75 is too deep for under the seat of a double cab. You need a minimum .5" clearance from the back of the sub to the back of the box so for that sub you need a mounting depth of 5.25 min and that would definitely hit the bottom of the seat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Has anyone tried putting 2 sundown audio sd-10s under the back seats in a DC? Looking at purchasing some subs soon and really liking sundown audio's products. The sd is suppose to be very similar to their sa line just more slim fitting. The sub has a depth of 4.75" and requires .5 cubic feet for a sealed box.

I think they should fit fine. My friend has two SA-10s with 6.5inch mounting depths in a ported box under his rear seat in his DC. He has the subs down firing so the seats just rest on the top of the box and don't hurt anything. I am thinking with two SD-2 10s in a small sealed box you shouldn't have a problem at all. Here is a video of my two SD-2 10s playing in my crewmax. I love them they get loud and can take a lot of power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxzCKGOV4M

Reactions: Bobby B

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
4.75 is too deep for under the seat of a double cab. You need a minimum .5" clearance from the back of the sub to the back of the box so for that sub you need a mounting depth of 5.25 min and that would definitely hit the bottom of the seat.

on the SD's their is no vent hole on the back of the motor. So you can butt it up against the back of the box.
I have two SD-10's in a ported box and I'm very happy with there sound and performance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
on the SD's their is no vent hole on the back of the motor. So you can butt it up against the back of the box.
I have two SD-10's in a ported box and I'm very happy with there sound and performance.
This is true, however, I can guarantee you and the OP that an SD-10 will NOT fit under the rear seat of a DoubleCab.

An SD-8 is more likely to fit, but you'll need to leave room for excursion (look at the FAT surround on that thing...)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This is true, however, I can guarantee you and the OP that an SD-10 will NOT fit under the rear seat of a DoubleCab.

An SD-8 is more likely to fit, but you'll need to leave room for excursion (look at the FAT surround on that thing...)
You can fit any 8" subs under the seat as long as you fire the subs at the back wall instead of up or down, you just have to build it like the stealth box

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

SD-8's are a great option too. Bang for the buck Sundown's hard to beat. Now only if Jacob would get those SQ comps to market

·
Registered
130 Posts
How would a sd8 fit but not a sd10, they both have a mounting depth of 4.75

Reactions: unioncc81

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How would a sd8 fit but not a sd10, they both have a mounting depth of 4.75
In a double cab any 8" will fit, you just have to fire them at the back wall instead of up or down. The box is a little more involved to build but still not hard. I did 3 jl 8w3 for a customer. That thing sounds damn good. And it only cost slightly more than a single stealth box .

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
SD-10's will fit depth wise but there's not a lot of room left for excursion. I just picked up a pair to play with. I will be running them in my Fox Acoustics ported enclosure that is just over 2 cubic feet (single chamber). I have a couple of the bar grills that I want to mount over them that give plenty of room for excursion but I'll have to modify the bottom of the seat just a touch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got the sub from a guy used for 70 bucks, hooked it up to an amp on the spot and it sounded good. Now to decide on an enclosure

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ill probably end up doing the bars to, but I've seen some people put spacers to raise the seats to..might help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sundown makes awesome subs for the money the SD 2 10's from what I have heard sound best with at least 600 rms per sub I wish I could have made them fit in my DC . I hope you can do it as I am interested in your results . I just installed a JL 13TW5 v2 under the rear seat and have been happy with the response but I still thirst for the sundown's .

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ill probably end up doing the bars to, but I've seen some people put spacers to raise the seats to..might help

Raising the seat in a double cab is a little more involved since the seat back is attached and is held in by hooks mounted on the back of the seat. Plus there are bolt holes on the back wall that are fixed so you would have to either modify the existing brackets or fabricate new ones. I looked at doing it and it is much more involved than just putting spacers under the base mounts. I have been looking at cutting a portion of the little metal support wires under the seat bottom and then shaving away about a half inch of foam on the underside of the seat. This will allow the seat bottom to go all the way down over the bar grills but still give the subs plenty of room for excursion within the grills. I can spot weld or safety wire the rest of the support wires and the seat bottom should have plenty of support.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Raising the seat in a double cab is a little more involved since the seat back is attached and is held in by hooks mounted on the back of the seat. Plus there are bolt holes on the back wall that are fixed so you would have to either modify the existing brackets or fabricate new ones. I looked at doing it and it is much more involved than just putting spacers under the base mounts. I have been looking at cutting a portion of the little metal support wires under the seat bottom and then shaving away about a half inch of foam on the underside of the seat. This will allow the seat bottom to go all the way down over the bar grills but still give the subs plenty of room for excursion within the grills. I can spot weld or safety wire the rest of the support wires and the seat bottom should have plenty of support.

I admire your zeal! Do you think massaging the floor beneath the seat with a mini sledge is an option?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed my single sd10 last night, its in a wedge style prefab box. It doesn't currently fit under the rear seat but I plan on modifying it. Everything I read said this sub can take a lot of juice. I hooked mine up to a kicker 750.1 and it takes it like a champ. Still trying to get it tuned though

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got two sundown audio sd's installed over the weekend under the double seat in the back. I'm powering it with a us Merlin amp that is rated at 1200 watts so I'm running about 600 watts to each. Man does it sound good. So yes it is doable. Quench your thirst for the sundowns. They are totally worth every dollar.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts