Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...just wanted to throw this out there to get some info.

What gas treatments do you use in your Gen 1s for injector cleaning and the like?

Does anyone recommend a once a year thing like Seafoam or using an oil additive like Lucas for those of us over the 200K mark?

I currently drop in a bottle of STP injector cleaner at each oil change, change my air filter once a year, and have started getting the high-mileage oil, but otherwise I do not do anything special. However, I am open to suggestions of things to help keep my Tundra healthy.

I know opinions vary, so direct experiences are the most valid.

Thanks for the tips all.:coffee:

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Have someone hold a high idle while you slowly drizzle a can of seafoam into the brake booster vacuum line. Warning, exhaust will be smoky...my neighbor thought my house was on fire.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have had good luck with Redline fuel system cleaner. I use it about every 7,5k and I still get around 18mpg on my 07 (yes gen2) and still idles and runs like the day I got it (79k, now 232k)

Fuel injection cleaner is like beer. Everyone has their own preference. Be it that's what their dad used and swore by or some fancy advertisement where you drink the Kool-aid they are selling.

Some like Lucus, some like Seafoam and Techron. But the bottom line is if you use a high quality synthetic oil and use quality fuel and do run a fuel injection cleaner through it now again you really shouldn't notice too much of a difference. And the reason for that is you are not neglecting it and it is running the way it should.

There are several links out there that will give you the pros and cons of each. But bottom line is do your homework and stick to what makes you and your motor happy.

https://shedheads.net/best-fuel-injector-cleaner

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Seafoam at every oil change in the fuel system. Also whenever a long trip is pending like to add one bottle for trip to destination and one for the return trip. Those 75/80 mph trips heats engine up and helps burn off some carbon......I think....hmmm...well it makes me feel better anyways.... :auto:

Archoil 1oz per quart...that nano-boron is a miracle additive that increase mpgs so much it auto fills tank and brought Elvis back!

Some have added 1 oz. seafoam per quart of oil into the crankcase and then change oil after 500/600 miles. Supposed to clean out sludge in all those small oil orifices that impact adjustable/variable camshaft timing etc. well if you believe those u-boob videos anyways.. ;)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
BG44k for injector cleaner.

Works great.

Seafoam isn't as good as it once was. Lots of people still think it stabilizes fuel in small engines, but it doesn't anymore, only adds more ethanol to the already large ethanol issue.

In a vehicle, Seafoam isn't bad, just I can get it for cheap as we sell it, and I don't use it. Instead I go for the BG products. Same as a lot of dealers use, including Yota dealers.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Are BG products on public retail or are we locked into finding a mechanic that service vehicles with it?

I've read lots of good info on it and the Carguys on 740am KHOU in Houston I think also promo the product but mostly the service shops that use it

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I have had good luck with Redline fuel system cleaner. I use it about every 7,5k and I still get around 18mpg on my 07 (yes gen2) and still idles and runs like the day I got it (79k, now 232k)

Fuel injection cleaner is like beer. Everyone has their own preference. Be it that's what their dad used and swore by or some fancy advertisement where you drink the Kool-aid they are selling.

Some like Lucus, some like Seafoam and Techron. But the bottom line is if you use a high quality synthetic oil and use quality fuel and do run a fuel injection cleaner through it now again you really shouldn't notice too much of a difference. And the reason for that is you are not neglecting it and it is running the way it should.

There are several links out there that will give you the pros and cons of each. But bottom line is do your homework and stick to what makes you and your motor happy.

https://shedheads.net/best-fuel-injector-cleaner
awesome web site with lots of good info appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Are BG products on public retail or are we locked into finding a mechanic that service vehicles with it?

I've read lots of good info on it and the Carguys on 740am KHOU in Houston I think also promo the product but mostly the service shops that use it
I normally just order it online.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see a 3-pak of the 3 different BG products on Amazon.

Do you guys all like these enough to do this as well? If so I have no problem investing in this if its as good as all the reviews and your comments are saying it is.

Is it ok to use the BG oil treatment in the "High Mileage"(Synthetic) oils?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have only used BG 44K in my Tundra and Range Rover. I did have the RR transmission serviced with a BG product though.

I’m not sure if I would spend the money on the other products. When I looked into it on their website, I remember thinking that they were all just additions to their primary product (44K). Someone else may have more experience though

2011 Tundra DC 4.6L V8 2WD 143k miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not had to use any third party additives on my '05 Tundra but I can recommend a fuel additive that I used quite often on my 1980 Volvo GT. I had well over 100K of hard city driving on it and drove it for business trips out to the hinterlands in crud traffic for over 5 years. The Volvo was prone to carbon buildup in the combustion cylinders and on the valves plus varnishing in the injectors. That meant terrible bouts of PING and rough running. The only additive that actually worked for me was Chevron's Techroline. The most active ingredient was VMP Naptha which caused the carbon deposits to detonate from rapid cooling (relatively) killing the preignition issue and the extreme detergents in the additive broke down the varnish buildup in the injectors. It did a good job of cleaning and the Castrol GT oil did its bit by suspending all the carbon and crud that made its way into the crank case. I'd run a bottle of the stuff through with one tank of gas and then change the oil once and sometimes twice immediately after that first run through. It simply worked and kept my old GT running decently until the day I bought my used Tundra after I retired.
I'd say how many miles the Tundra had on it and how old it was when I bought it plus how many miles it has on it today---but it would be embarrassing and maybe a little mean spirited. Suffice it to say I'm getting tired of saying no to all the guys who keep asking me and leaving notes on its window asking me if I would consider selling it.
When I have to smog the old girl, the techs keep telling me the numbers come up as good as new Honda Civic 4 bangers and then ask me if I would sell it. It is not too often you run across a vehicle that seems to have been built with most all the tolerances stacked in your favor.
I plan on being buried in my TRD Access Cab 49k plus miles Tundra. Oops did I just reveal the actual milage to the Group. Well, I guess I did---heh heh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts