Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Subwoofer enclosure solution for new gen. DC Tundra

16K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  619SR5 
#1 · (Edited)
I was racking my brain for solutions to get an enclosure that could handle regular sized subs. I tried the under seat enclosure with slim subs and I wasn't happy with the low's that it put out, and didn't want to keep doing the whole trial and error game trying to find subs that sounded good. This enclosure acts as a center console for the rear seat. It's roughly the same width as the front center console, and goes all the way from the floor to the upright portion of the back seat. To allow enough space for the lower sub which fires rearward into the seat, I needed to pull the seat cover off enough to remove all of the seat foam in front of the steel bar in the seat. I then zip tied the excess seat fabric to the steel bar so the sub would not touch or be obstructed by it even though the sub has a grill over it. I have a grill for the top sub, I'm just waiting for the paint to dry as it needed a little touch up. Today I'm working on armrests for the top so passengers have a place to put their arms instead of on top of the speaker. I will post up pics of it installed once the contact cement for the vinyl cures. I hope the cement doesn't smell when it cures haha. I used an online calculator to estimate the air space of each chamber. The upper chamber without the sub is about .81, and the lower chamber without the sub is about .75. For right now I'm using 2 JL's out of a prefab box (used to prop up the new box in the pics), and they sound great. I will eventually install 2 JL 10W3v3's.

This is the view from the right rear passenger position:

Rearview if looking down from the rear window:

View from the front seats:

View from the left rear passenger:

Underneath from the rear:

See less See more
#6 ·
The amps are still behind the seats. I need to move the one on the drivers side to underneath the passenger seat for easier tuning.

Very nice. Just out of curiosity, what slim subs did you not like?
Elemental Designs SQ10's. I also bought an enclosure from supercrew sound that I later heard from tech12volt is better used for firewood. I can confirm that. I also read so many back and forth reviews about other slims that just didn't convince me to try anymore.

Wowzer!! I cant wait to see this installed. Also I will be your first customer to have you build me one of these if it works out for you!!! Seriously!

So you have about 1.5 cubic feet of space total. I would most likely just run one nice 12" for my setup. Awesome bro!!
Thanks to everyone. I would have to do some thinking about that one. I do the kind of work that is perfectly flawed for myself, but might not be acceptable to others, especially in a show quality truck like yours. :D

#5 ·
Wowzer!! I cant wait to see this installed. Also I will be your first customer to have you build me one of these if it works out for you!!! Seriously!

So you have about 1.5 cubic feet of space total. I would most likely just run one nice 12" for my setup. Awesome bro!!

#9 ·
Nifty. I love the creativity. Now get us some pictures of it installed!

#21 ·
Thanks guys! I don't see why you couldn't put bucket seats back there. Before I started this thing I actually went to my local audio shop to see how much it would cost for them to build me an enclosure like this and they suggested that I have a nearby interior shop cut out and re-upholster the center portion of the seat (to make the 60 portion another 40 like the right side) to make way for full center console enclosure. Well the interior guy wanted $500 to cut the seat, and the audio shop wanted $400 for the enclosure. I thought why don't I just try to build one myself. I'm really glad I did. I not only saved $900 from shop work, but gave new life to what I thought were old speakers. It is amazing how much better these speakers sound out in the open.

#24 ·
Dude, you might as well tell you're buddy to bring you the truck so you can take measurements yourself, instead of posting, asking, and now asking someone to pm you... Not trying to be rude, but there are boxes and measurements all over online. Rather that scavenge a forum, either tell him to bring you the truck, or start googling. Most builders just have the vehicle brought to them, rather than copying other peoples plans. I guess you must be that "next door pro" level of builder.

If the buddy of yours really wants you to build him a box, have him get you the truck. Period.

If you had a CM truck, I would gladly give you dimensions of my boxes, but you don't. And I have only done Cm work, and have CM boxes.

#25 ·
Wow what a asshole. Don't sweat it then I'm not asking you. I went to N.A.M.E. (National Academy of Mobile Electronics) did u go to any schooling on the subject? I definitely don't need you telling me how to do shit. What do you think I'm trying to email him the box? For a guy who knows so much u sure don't know... I'm aware that I'm gonna need the truck to build the box and install it.. There's always gotta b one.

#28 ·
Actually, I'm not "a asshole"... I believe the term you meant is "an asshole".

Odd, since I was not trying to be rude, nor acting childish... Pretty sure you should be talking to yourself in a mirror, maybe voice to text kicked in.

I see you're such a smart person, and obviously such a great car audio guy with so much experience that you don't even use readily available information online. Weak flex.

By the way, this isn't an airline, but thank you for announcing your departure.

#29 ·
No I meant a asshole. There u go thinking u know all. Nobody was even talking 2 u and u had 2 go b A ASSHOLE. That shit wasn't rude?

take measurements yourself, instead of posting, asking, and now asking someone to pm you

tell him to bring you the truck, or start googling

I guess you must be that "next door pro" level of builder.

If the buddy of yours really wants you to build him a box, have him get you the truck. Period

If you had a CM truck, I would gladly give you dimensions of my boxes, but you don't. And I have only done Cm work, and have CM boxes

All that wasn't rude? It wasn't even your business no one was talking 2 you any fuckin ways. I gotta learn this is the way muthafuckas act online. In Cali u get mopped 4 running your mouth unnecessarily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.