Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just ordered all of my system components and am in the process of gathering information for the upcoming project. I've got everything mapped out in my head and I think I have a pretty good handle on where things are going, how I will run wiring, etc. Here's the issue...
I'm working on a DC and there's not a ton of room for subs. I've decided to go with a single 12" sub under the rear passenger seat. I've designed a box, drawn everything out on graph paper and think it will JUST fit. My question is about the box material. I know MDF is the way to go and I know the typical medium is 3/4" MDF, however, because of the limited amount of space, if I were to use 1/2" MDF, that small amount of space gained would be very beneficial. So here's the question....
Is it worth using the thinner wood to gain a critical 1/2" of space or am I hurting myself in the long run by sacrificing on the structure of the box by skimping on the wood???

any responses are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump... any help guys?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
not an expert, but I would assume 1/2" would be okay if you properly brace the inside of the box to reduce flexing.

Reactions: boone82

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! I was thinking a couple braces would help as well. I would love to be able to do a fiberglass box, but I've never done it before and it's a very simple rectangular shape so I don't think it's necessary or worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Run 2 braces top to bottom to help stiffen the large faces of the box. If you don't the bass will be a lot sloppier sounding.
Make sure interior volume of the box is within the speaker manufacturers specs as well.

FYI
I spent 20 years of my life as a custom audio installer. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
you can stuff the box with polyfill too if you need the enclosure to act a bit larger than it is

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I can make the box wide enough and long enough that cubic footage won't be an issue. I'm just having a problem making sure there is enough depth for the sub to mount without touching on the back of the magnet and still having enough room in front of the sub for excursion. I think I finally have all of the measurements down and it looks like I will have clearance.... but just by the hair of my chinny chin chin!! I'm making all of the cuts tonight on my neighbor's table saw and will get to building the box in the next few days. I will try to take lots of pics and post them with all dimensions when it's all said and done so people will know this works with the gear I've picked out.

Thanks again for all of your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts