Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Subs and Amp on a budget?

9K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Platinumb 
#1 ·
Im almost done with my sound system upgrade. I got done installing the Pioneer X5500BHS. The kicker door speakers became alive with the new HU. Now I want to make use of the 2x12 sub box sitting under my rear seats.

Box 2x12 down fire enclosed
1.69CF add some polyfill/Sound deadening on the back wall.

MB Quart RLP-304
-300RMS/600max
-DVC/4ohm
-.5CF min .75CF max
Specs

Mated with this amp.

Audiobahn AMA12002H
-2ch A/B amp
-150x2 @ 4ohm
-300x2 @ 2ohm
-600 Bridged @ 4ohm

Wire it like this

Total of 250ish for all. I already have a wiring kit.

Any thoughts? Possible other options for the same price?

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you listened to the Quart subs? They are OK but I was pretty underwhelmed when I listened to them. They don't have a whole lot of excursion so they don't go real low. I forget what the airspace requirements are but you might want to make sure the box is right for them. Kicker has a new line of shallow subs out that seem to work well and Pioneer and Kenwood both have decent shallow subs out. The Rockford Fosgate P3 is also a nice sub but you're going to pay a lot more for any of those than the Quarts. Maybe think about changing enclosures and going to a couple of 10's? There are some great ones out there with less than 5 inches of mounting depth that have good excursion and are not classified as shallow subs.

The amp isn't bad but I don't think it will do the rated 600 watts bridged. If you look around you can find the Soundstream Rubicon RUB1.1000D for less than $175 and you can also find the Precision Power Phantom series mono amp for around $189. Both of those amps will do better than rated power.

Its all in what you expect from your eqipment. The stuff you have picked out is inexpensive and will fill the void for some low end support for your music but you aren't going to move a lot of air and feel the bass. For some people that is fine. Others have told me they "don't want to rattle the windows or wake the neighbors" and that is fine too, if you're not buying new equipment in a few months because it doesn't meet your expectations. Try to find someplace to either demo the Quarts or a shallow 12" sub in general that is in about the same price range and in about the same size enclosure.

#4 ·
I'm very satisfied with my 12" Alpine type R shallow sub, it pounds!
Initially i wanted to buy either a RE sub or a SunDown Audio, but none were available in town. I wouldnt recommend the rockford fosgate P3, they seem to be quite cheap.. i blew 2 of the R2 12" they are pretty whimpy.

Either way, i'd recommend a 12 over two 8s...

#7 ·
The Alpine is a great sub no doubt, but it is also more money than he wants to spend on an amp and two subs. If you have the money, the Alpine is the way to go. If you don't, something else is going to have to take it's place.

#12 ·
on the type R subs...

I dunno. Gfs bro blew 2 of them, spider/suspension failure. It is plastic. Both cracked. First one I thought he was being a dumbass... SO second one I re-tuned the amp, took away his bass boost knob, and set everything and told him to not touch anything but the treble...

AND it failed again.

Sub box to 'pines specs exactly. Amp matched rated rms (besides, not a burn't coil issue) literally the suspension failed.

For reasonable ( cheap) subs that sound good I would go with the pioneer ibflat. Hell, I would rather have 2 of those than the 13tw5 I have, however I have it, and would need to build another box for the 2 flats... Box builder is slower than moooolasssssessss on sleeping pills.

#19 ·
Sound Solutions Audio - Quality Car Audio Subwoofers

They have a GREAT forum, have an amazing Subwoofer line for all budgets, and carry everything you need from a basic setup, to a full competition system. I've known their owners for over 10 years and they are some of the best people in the Car Audio industry today both in terms of knowldge, but also in products for sale and the way they stand behind them.

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.