Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I just went from 15 DC to a 19 TRD Pro Crew Max.

I'm currently searching Google and these forums for ideas and recommendations. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I was wondering if some of you experts wouldn't mind helping. I don't know a whole lot about car audio, just enough to steer me in the right direction but not enough that I'll probably sound ignorant eventually.

I want to add a sub and amp to my truck. I'll have if professionally installed but I'll buy the equipment myself so I can cater to my budget.

I listen to mostly rock/metal music and some occasional R&B so I need something that performs good all around with the major emphasis being on tight, punchy bass. I have come to the conclusion that a sealed 10" sub is probably the way to go.

From what I understand that's a fairly hard ask from our trucks due to limited space for a sub box, even with a shallow mount 10".

My first obstacle is the subwoofer box. I see a lot of dual 10" boxes out there but I'm thinking since I am retaining the stock head unit and door speakers that's probably a bit overkill.
I'm thinking a single 10" box with the same dimensions as the dual would probably make for a better sound quality/performance rather than trying to cram 2 subs in the same amount of space but the problem is, I can't find any. Am I wrong in thinking this? Side note: the box must go behind the seat, I have other plans for underneath.

On my last system that I had installed on my 15 double cab the installed tapped into the rear speaker signal which to me, sounded like crap. I ended up tapping into the front channel using a line out converter on the input side of the amp under the passenger seat. Is there a better place get the speaker level input signal from?

Amp wise I have my eyes set on an Alpine MRV 500 Mono amp

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BMR7UPS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_IXc-CbPAKER5H

The sub I had in mind was a Kicker 43CWRT CompRT 10
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01BLVEYBC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wYc-CbDN2E3TY

Does this seem like a good combo? I'm open to suggestion but this about maxes out my budget. I'd love to get the JL but I just won't invest that kind of money into sound. I'm perfectly happy with mediocre as long as its decent quality.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you check out my build I think you’d be surprised. I fit 2 JL audio 12tw3’s in a vented enclosure behind the back seat of my 2014. I listen to everything and I am still extremely happy with the performance.

·
Registered
13,587 Posts
If you check out my build I think you’d be surprised. I fit 2 JL audio 12tw3’s in a vented enclosure behind the back seat of my 2014. I listen to everything and I am still extremely happy with the performance.
Who built the box if I may inquire? Looks good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts