Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
You'll still be finding mud under the truck 6 months from now.

Reactions: Chas

· Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No, the tow truck driver would not take any money, I tried to give him some he refused. The land I lease for hunting the farmer leases to farm. I paid him 200 to get me out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
14,320 Posts
yeaaah, you can tell its wet marshy cuz the greenage in the pics lol... It likely stays fairly moist there for a while till it's actually summer.

That is a good tip for the farmer, he prolly thought it was extra gratious. Most people I know with farmland and tractors tend to think it is just fun to pull people out, most of the time it's idiots that were tresspassing even, it makes for a funny time when they get stuck and then have to be pulled out by the owner of the land that they shouldn't have been on...

You need an extraction hook

Or

or

At first I was doing just double hooks on right in last pic, on 2x2x1/4 tube, then did a few with 1/8x1x2 tube doubled, then was doing with the step and one hook, which seems to be preferred, made 3, had them pc'd, was bolting hooks on, did 2 with closed ends, one with open, in the end they all looked the same, was a pita to make a 1.75x1.75x1/4 plate to close the ends due to being welded tube, and the pc guy seemed to get the inside pretty well actually... I had to make the closure plate fit.... then hold it in place and weld, then smooth and powdercoat, my pc guy said he thought he could get it decent inside... I figured I would let him try before I decided.

The older one is from 2006ish, It is my go-to, has been in 2 vehicles, decided to strip it and bedline it.

The halfass bare one is one I made for gfs bro's jeep, it is a shorty, he wanted discreet, and I didn't charge him so I used a re-used hook and tubing that was already pc'd.
After enough time in my blast cab I gave up and handed it to him, told him he could pay the pc guy and he would finish blasting it, I have glass beads, the pc guy uses aluminum oxide and also actual sand which he says he doesn't but I have seen it...

And I started welding on the forged hooks, pita trying to hold 1/2 inch thread nuts (3/4 outside) inside a 2in O.D. tube...

The longer ones I have put extra holes in to make adjustable because you do not always want it to be all the way out... The shorter one is just the hook backside pretty much against the hitch... It is hard to make the other ones because I have made em for ford, chev, and yota and everyone has different hitch hole measurements to the end of the hitch...

Anywho, if you are planning on the possibility of getting stuck, you need some sorta recovery hitch.

Glad you got it out.

Lucky you were in a farmers field that was cool and not an asshat farmer....

Reactions: bambino2300

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Nice Farmer, I'd reccomend those John Deere tires they seemed to work okay.

· Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
They never slipped and the rpms never went up. Just a crawl forward and the yoda jumped out of the hole. The cost of that trackter would buy a few tundras I'm sure

· Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a Ford friend F350 single cab - complains about driving 7 miles to work LMFAO! Helped me cut wood last week but managed to forget his chain saw and would not take his son out after to ride his dirt bike (get dirt in the bed and he wanted to wash it but wasn't dirty) so I took him and his Dad was happy to free load along for the ride since my real truck gets dirty all the time and used the rental trailer to haul more wood vs red trailer that gets too tongue heavy. The green trailer was great and the added safety of surge brakes just in case. 6k gvw Tundra was amazing to tow with!
I want a dump trailer now and it makes life so much nicer.......:D

That mud looked nasty - swamp mud sucks for real:cool:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

· Registered
262 Posts
Did you try chaining up to get out?

I got stuck for the first time this winter while out and about camping with my truck camper on the back. I was in Idaho and the snow didn't look very deep (I was wrong). It was crusty and broke through and was stuck similar to your pics. Except that below the snow, water had ponded so even when I busted out the shovel and tried to dig out the tires, I was in water about a foot deep.

It was a bitch (and cold) to chain up in icy water that deep, but just by chaining up the rear, I was able to get out... .

· Registered
421 Posts
any pics Dav?

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Yeah, 4x4 and a locker would help. In the OP, keeping forward momentum is key. One wheel in front/rear spinning (the one with no traction) just doesn't do well in mud or any offroad scenario. The mud looked deep, so most likely he still would have got stuck.

Now for a 2wd truck, that's just ingnant to even think mud, snow, rocks are a good idea, even with a locker. My Dad is a 2wd truck guy, lived in MT and ND his whole life. Lives by them. He puts snow tires on...etc. My parents moved to CO last year and he got stuck twice and had to call his son.

He is looking for a Tacoma now and finally admitted 4x4 is a good thing. Funny, we always took my 4x4 truck in MT in High School for hunting trips...

· Registered
4,935 Posts
Yup, he saw me do it and didn't want to get showed up by the "jap" truck. In 4x4 he sunk it and he wasn't even in the deepest parts where I was. My offroading has cause the premature failur of my alternator. Turns out ample amounts of sandy water over 75k miles and a good few romps in Texas mud will cause it to get shorts which I found out destroys them. Toyota puts the alternator in a very stupid spot, exact middle of the bottom of the engine. I don't have any skid plates (yet) but I'm after a set of bud built plates in the future.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
That's a ford for you ...lol

I took my old rock rig (97 TJ) down to TX to see a friend and broke more shit in the mud it was crazy. I have just learned to stay out of the deep mud. I do have to admit, fun as hell, just hate the aftermath. My buddy always wants me to bring my current one down, I always ask him if the letters F and O mean anything to him...lol. I don't mind when we meet up in NM or CO.
I would rather just ride along in his RZR.

· Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I love it gabe, balls out with no knob to turn (4x4). My bigest pet peave is some one who wont test their equipment to its limit, ya at times you will break this or that, but when you know what your truck or car can and cant do you then become a way better driver than the guy that has to think twice

· Registered
4,935 Posts
Yeah, alot of people see the truck and headlights and what not and assume its a mall crawler. Truth be told I hate clean trucks and can't stand malls, or most heavily populated areas. I take good care of the truck, it's my baby, but at the end of the day it's just a truck and will be used as such. That video was shot while Atleast 5 jeeps sat on the side lines and refused to go through the pits me and my buddy were rampaging through.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Some people have other vehicles for that stuff.

Tundras are bad ass, but some buy them for daily use and need reliability. Take me of instance. My jeep isn't a daily driver, but I beat the living hell out of it and use it to the max and beyond. I don't rely on it daily, so if it sits on the trailer or garage broken..so be it. Not going to beat the living shit out of a daily driver. Been there done that when I was in my early 20's using my Tacoma for a rock crawler and daily driver. That ended badly.

Not going to be a liar, the Corvette gets used. Nuff said there.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.