Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I draw nearer to installing my lift parts, I am prepping them as much as possible ahead of time so I can save as much time as I can on the actual install day. I have struts, coils, spacers, and the hardware to assemble them so they will be ready to go when the time comes. I also purchased a spring compressor and brand new torque wrench to put them all together. It was cheaper than all the labor quotes I got from local shops, and at least I will have those tools for later use.

What I would like to know is, are there any particular things I should know going into this? I think I have the torque specs handy for the spacer bolts, but is there a spec for the strut plate mounting bolt?

Also, does anyone know of a quick reference where I could find additional information as needed? Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
Download the instructions for the low range offroad spacer kit and icon coilovers. Both give all the info & specs you need.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How are you getting the coil off the shock? Just loostin it then put on the ground and and finish it and watch it fly across the driveway? Thats what i do but i wanna hear how your gonna go about it

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Most require the reuse of the lower coil plate (perch?). So you will need a spring compressor to remove the spring from the old coilover to get the lower plate off and install it on the new coilover.

Reactions: 2010

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
How are you getting the coil off the shock? Just loostin it then put on the ground and and finish it and watch it fly across the driveway? Thats what i do but i wanna hear how your gonna go about it
You use a coil compressor to relieve the tension, then you remove everything, then slowly decompress the coil. :confused:

·
Registered
387 Posts
You use a coil compressor to relieve the tension, then you remove everything, then slowly decompress the coil. :confused:
Not what i did when i installed my 5100's haha just loosened it layed shock on the ground and used impact driver to completely undo it and the release of the pressure on te spring makes the shock fly across the driveway haha but i used the compress to put the coil on the new shock, if you have two dirt bike winch straps you can use those like spring compressors also haha they work just be careful

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely plan to use the spring compressor to install the new coils. I am using Bilstein shocks with the TRD coils. These will be an upgrade from my stock parts. I am assembling all this prior to even taking off my wheels. I don't plan to remove the coils from my shocks, since I won't be reusing any of those parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts